ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    GDRS
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: First Match

Come on, Arabcheif, we're all dying to know.…..how did it go?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nottheorgangrinder View Post
    Come on, Arabcheif, we're all dying to know.…..how did it go?
    He's probably still in shock.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hope he had a better game than the obvious newbie reffing at the Vets tournament I was at in France, what a day to forget, felt sorry for the the lad, nothing worse than a bunch of frustrated old timers on the beer, especially when you don’t speak the same language as half the teams

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Apologies for keeping you in suspense. Just been catching up with work back log from the weekend.

I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go. There was 2 incidents that I wasn't too sure about.

1. Restart kick (after try). Was kicked in goal and touched down by the defence. I awarded a scrum to the receiving team, upon reflection I believe I should offered Scrum or Kick again option.
    2. Ball was knocked on and bounced into touch, I awarded a scrum. I'm unsure if options are only offer if the knock on goes into touch on the full (without bouncing etc) or if it doesn't matter and I should always offer options when a knock on goes into touch.

Other than that, I think it was a fairly decent first match.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go.
    This is not necessarily a bad thing
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How about the scenario 2 - does the ball bouncing before going into touch have an impact on the offer. Is it a straight Scrum or should I have offered Scrum/Line Out options?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How about the scenario 2 - does the ball bouncing before going into touch have an impact on the offer. Is it a straight Scrum or should I have offered Scrum/Line Out options?
    Options !

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Apologies for keeping you in suspense. Just been catching up with work back log from the weekend.

I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go. There was 2 incidents that I wasn't too sure about.

1. Restart kick (after try). Was kicked in goal and touched down by the defence. I awarded a scrum to the receiving team, upon reflection I believe I should offered Scrum or Kick again option.
    2. Ball was knocked on and bounced into touch, I awarded a scrum. I'm unsure if options are only offer if the knock on goes into touch on the full (without bouncing etc) or if it doesn't matter and I should always offer options when a knock on goes into touch.

Other than that, I think it was a fairly decent first match.
    If the only ‘mistakes’ were over options then I’d take that, half the time they don’t know there’s an option and just wait to be told what do do! Confident decisions and crack on, did you enjoy it though?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The Lineout option Law (18.8f) wording is: "Following the ball going into touch from a knock-on or throw forward".
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

... There ... incident that I wasn't too sure about.
    Be careful here because this one can easily catch you out.

If the ball is kicked in-goal and grounded "without delay" you offer the grounding team the option of Kick Again or scrum on the centre line.

If there is any delay (eg prancing about and goading the opposition to trot to in-goal before grounding it) they get a 22m Drop Out only ie if they want the Kick Again / Scrum option they have to act "without delay" ... which makes perfect sense.

NB: "Without Delay" is a bit longer than "immediately" and you will recognise it when you see it. If you start thinking to yourself "Ground it man" he's probably lost his options.

... There .. incidents that I wasn't too sure about.
    It doesn't matter if the ball was knocked on and rolled into touch or went directly to touch from the knock on; the non-offending side should have had the option of a scrum or LO.

I have £5 though that says the vast majority didn't even realise they had an option.
    Last edited by Taff; 20-05-19 at 20:05.

Thread Information