Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Flankers

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Why do you think the rationale is pathetic? There have been several law changes to try and create space, some in response to players being faster and stronger, but all with the aim of promoting attacking play. Seems like a good idea to make the game more exciting to me.
    I find changing a law to produce an outcome intellectually and tactically lazy. Improving skills and team game plan within the 15 v 15 structure is difficult. This law provides a moment of 6 versus 3 in many cases. A distinct advantage to the offensive team granted by a law change and not human activity. 6 attackers v 3 defenders occurs as a result of 3 deep defenders covering kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I agree. Keeping the forwards out of the backs is an emminently sensible idea.
    just remove players 6, 7 , 8 from the field would accomplish that also. This law is just a temporary removal from the game.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

TBH, I think the rationale is sound, as it does create space. If it had the opposite effect then fair enough but I think it has given the space to the attacking team to create more attacks. Therefore was successful in what it was intending. I get that it creates an overload on the side of the offence but that's the idea, to promote scoring opportunities.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    TBH, I think the rationale is sound, as it does create space. If it had the opposite effect then fair enough but I think it has given the space to the attacking team to create more attacks. Therefore was successful in what it was intending. I get that it creates an overload on the side of the offence but that's the idea, to promote scoring opportunities.
    Yep, what you r saying is correct. My problem is that is the law that created space, not the play or tactics of rugby. this law limits freedom of play to achieve an outcome. An outcome that should have been achieved by creative minds and skillful play.

For example, when wing forwards unbind and retreat to offside line as before stay bound law, a weakness in the defense has occurred elsewhere. Most obviously in strength of scrum defense. The counter to unbound wing forwards is a driving scrum.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    I find changing a law to produce an outcome intellectually and tactically lazy. Improving skills and team game plan within the 15 v 15 structure is difficult. This law provides a moment of 6 versus 3 in many cases. A distinct advantage to the offensive team granted by a law change and not human activity. 6 attackers v 3 defenders occurs as a result of 3 deep defenders covering kicks

just remove players 6, 7 , 8 from the field would accomplish that also. This law is just a temporary removal from the game.
    I don't agree it is 6 vs 3 as the 3 who may (or may not) be deep are still defenders available, just not aligned. But let's say you were correct why do we not have hundreds of tries scored from the scrum? I'd say because it's not really 6 v 3 but what's your rationale?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

there's a safety element too. A continuous 8 on 8 scrum will be more stable than an 8 on 8 scrum that suddenly turns into an 8 on 5 scrum
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

there's a safety element too. A continuous 8 on 8 scrum will be more stable than an 8 on 8 scrum that suddenly turns into an 8 on 5 scrum
    yep, that is how they sold it. No self respecting prop will tell you a flanker does a damn thing

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    yep, that is how they sold it. No self respecting prop will tell you a flanker does a damn thing
    ]

I dunno, on the few occasions I played flanker my prop made sure I was in the right place to support him in the scrum and keep him in position, so I must have been needed for something in the scrum (not sure I did what was needed, but he clearly expected something from his flanker!)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, but they will not admit it in public

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    ]

I dunno, on the few occasions I played flanker my prop made sure I was in the right place to support him in the scrum and keep him in position, so I must have been needed for something in the scrum (not sure I did what was needed, but he clearly expected something from his flanker!)
    He needed an excuse for getting his arse beat by opposite

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You'd certainly think so however in my memory scrum stability was never any sort of issue. At a defensive scrum, if we lost the ball (which wasn't preordained as we still believed in the great god named - one against the head) our flankers unbound (not the No 8 though) and retreated behind the backfoot to bolster the defence. Consequently as a 10 I almost never made a tackle which was how it was supposed to be until the great Jonny Wilkinson turned up and insisted he was as hard as the forwards. Life became considerably more painful after that.

Thread Information