Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Crusaders doing what they do best

      
  1. #21

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,100
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    It's worrying that we are heading into the RWC with quite a few of those

    What is more worrying is the fact that Marius Jonker will be one of the TMO's at the World cup...

    https://youtu.be/tnVoV-_9VGU?t=239

    (beginning 3:59 on the YT timer if the link doesn't work properly)

    The referee had awarded the try, so any TMO evidence must be clear and obvious to overturn that decision.

    This is clearly not a forward pass at all; the passer was running at near full speed, always passing the ball with a backwards action, but Jonker thought it was "clear and compelling evidence". Even worse, Jonker was not the referee but he controlled the conversation - the TMO is there to assist the referee, not to tell him what to do.


    Its time SANZAAR stopped having hometown officials for matches. The Last two Lions home games against foreign opponents were officiated by Hometown Harries - the PK count 43-6 in favour of the home team. We need to move to having a completely neutral TO4.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:05.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  2. #22

    Referees in New Zealand


    Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Join Date
    05 May 11
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    201

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    What is more worrying is the fact that Marius Jonker will be one of the TMO's at the World cup...

    https://youtu.be/tnVoV-_9VGU?t=239

    (beginning 3:59 on the YT timer if the link doesn't work properly)

    The referee had awarded the try, so any TMO evidence must be clear and obvious to overturn that decision.

    This is clearly not a forward pass at all; the passer was running at near full speed, always passing the ball with a backwards action, but Jonker thought it was "clear and compelling evidence". Even worse, Jonker was not the referee but he controlled the conversation - the TMO is there to assist the referee, not to tell him what to do.


    Its time SANZAAR stopped having hometown officials for matches. The Last two Lions home games against foreign opponents were officiated by Hometown Harries - the PK count 43-6 in favour of the home team. We need to move to having a completely neutral TO4.
    That was the last 3 games, but the stats are eye-opening.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

  3. #23
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,048
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    274

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    I can't find the link, but there was a home/away refereeing comparison between all SANZAAR countries throughout super rugby, and the card count was even more skewed than the penalties. I'll try and find it.

  4. #24

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    665
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    162

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    maybe it is peeling off?
    The laws which I listed being ignored generally are -
    More than one receiver.
    Not continuing to move if peeling.
    Leaving the lineout without exchanging.
    Jumping early.
    Leaving lineout before it has ended.

    And stretching it a bit admittedly, depending on context, time wasting and delaying the lineout!

  5. #25

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,100
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    That was the last 3 games, but the stats are eye-opening.

    You're right

    Lions v Rebels 20-1
    Lions v Waratahs 11-2
    Lions v Highlanders 12-3

    Total 43-6

    Very suspicious
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  6. #26
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Join Date
    11 Apr 18
    Posts
    243
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    57

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    This is clearly not a forward pass at all; the passer was running at near full speed, always passing the ball with a backwards action, but Jonker thought it was "clear and compelling evidence".
    Looked absolutely fine in real-time... I note he also didn't see the clear and compelling evidence of black being about 2M offside at the ruck, or the high (and slightly late) contact on white.

  7. #27
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    104
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Certainly a poor decision and the wrong person driving it, imo. Seeing more these days of team of officials acting in concert rather than just the odd intervention

  8. #28

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,100
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    Certainly a poor decision and the wrong person driving it, imo. Seeing more these days of team of officials acting in concert rather than just the odd intervention
    I expect a more experienced referee with a stronger personality (such as Wayne Barnes, Nigel Owens or Angus Gardner) would have flat out overruled him.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:05.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  9. #29

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    16,683
    Thanks (Received)
    127
    Likes (Received)
    1611

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    WR have announced it was a mistaken

    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/su...y-in-cape-town

  10. #30

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,100
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Crusaders doing what they do best

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    WR have announced it was a mistaken

    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/su...y-in-cape-town
    Too late now.

    Unfortunately, this is not the first time that Jonker has screwed up. He should've been put to pasture after he retired from internationals in 2012
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:05.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •