Rugby Club Member Northamptonian's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default First 7's Games

I've been appointed to a 7's tournament next month, and have never played or officiated in that format of the game. Could anyone advise me on what I should be prioritising, how I should adapt my approach and what the best preparation is?

Cheers!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: First 7's Games

Beyond being fit, I assume. The ‘saving’ factor is because numbers are lower, you generally don’t need to be as near each breakdown; so can run more economic lines.

There are a few variations you need to know (eg restart not 10=FK, rather than options), but the undocumented one that came as a shock to me was the practice of taking conversion drop-kicks, almost immediately, back towards the FoP.

Helps massively to have a To3, ideally with Comms. If nothing else that gives you a rest whilst you are, and the ARs can be in position to see conversions.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Northamptonian View Post
    I've been appointed to a 7's tournament next month, and have never played or officiated in that format of the game. Could anyone advise me on what I should be prioritising, how I should adapt my approach and what the best preparation is?

Cheers!
    Are you off to Olney?

I tend to just referee between the 15s as, as mentioned above, you generally get a good view of everything as there's fewer players.

I will often take up a RL sort of position (which has it's disadvantages if there's an interception) on the defensive side and run across behind them as you occasionally get phases of chucking about whilst going backwards looking for a gap. Being on the defensive side is handy for chips over too.

Get the tacklers off and away and have your ideal tackle/ruck model in your head and apply it - clear release etc.. It's surprisingly easier than 15s in that respect.

Keep in your toes at PKs as they're invariably tapped.

If you do have a line out stand at the back looking down it.

Don't let anyone bullshit you into thinking you don't need some at 2+2 opposite the thrower - you do.

Don't waste a lot of energy if you get railroaded into running touch for colleagues - leave the conversions to the referee.

Drink lots.

Have a bit to eat throughout the day if it's 10.00-16.00 job.

Try not to send anyone off as that's them for the day. ie no 2x YCs.

Don't wear proper boots get some mouldies or better still astroturf/hockey types.

Don't expect any comms - they'll be none at Olney that's for sure.

Finally and most importantly - If you are off to Olney and you're driving give me your beer tickets.
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 22-05-19 at 11:05.
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

real 7s (like Melrose) have a to5, with in goal ARs to judge conversions and scores.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In 7s I've seen more tackled players dropping a knee to the ground to turn a 1 on 1 grapple into a tackle.

Thread Information