All seems reasonable to me.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dangerous rucks

100% accurate. Showbiz rugby and referees not enforcing the laws are the problem. Doesn't happen at my Level, I penalise it. Attacking team side entry is easy to spot but ignored at top level.
    Ciaran Trainor

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, read earlier, and again, doesn’t happen in my world

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That is a very good article that targets points in the game that need addressing. Make no mistake players are coached to smash in off their feet. We were fortunate enough to have Gatland do a coaching session at a club where i coached. Much of it revolved around the contact area, which involved smashing in low with head and shoulder, inevitably going off your feet and then immediately pushing yourself onto all fours. As he pointed out, if you go off your feet but then make efforts to get up you will not be penalised.

The jackler needs some protection, the nature of his body position makes it almost impossible to get under him and ruck in the orthodox fashion, so you must either roll him or smash him in the manner above. For me the roll should be more specifically identified in the laws and the dangerous aspect of smashing in rather than binding should receive the type of sanction that will stamp it out, no pun intended

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

To be honest, there's no 100% safe way to clear a defender competing for the ball. There are 3 techniques.

1. Getting under and driving back - unlikely to happen given the body position. But 99% of the time the head will be below the hips as the play will be leaning forward and bending down to get their hands on the ball. Could be argued they've put them self at risk with poor stance.
    2. Smashing them off - has it's issues in terms of the contact is almost always going to be on the back, back of the neck or back of the head.
    3. Rolling - They only time that my club coached this, it resulted in a dislocated knee for the rollee. I don't think they're that safe either.

But here's the thing. Rugby is a dangerous sport. 3 months ago I broke my arm being tackled while carrying the ball into contact. Neither me or the tackler were doing anything wrong. It was just one of those things. While there are things we can do to minimising the risk, it will always be a dangerous sport due to the physical nature. If we remove all elements of danger it will become a boring dull sport. We'd need to pick and chose what to remove, to enable the excitement factor.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    ... But 99% of the time the head will be below the hips as the play will be leaning forward and bending down to get their hands on the ball. Could be argued they've put them self at risk with poor stance.

... and are actually thus breaking the laws? Or something? Or did I dream that bit about shoulders below hips?

didds

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    ... and are actually thus breaking the laws? Or something? Or did I dream that bit about shoulders below hips?

didds
    I think you are experiencing a flashback not a dream. A quick look, I could not find it specified like it was before re write.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

@ Didds - Yes I believe your right, but we then run this risk of saying you put yourself in that position, you take the risks. If they adopted a good position, with the head above the hips, there would be less successful jacklers. Plus the risk of having ones face smashed by being cleared out. It seems that the roll may be the safest option in terms of minimising impact injuries to the back of the head/neck and the back. But then we'll see leg injuries becoming more frequent. Then we'll have a discussion about what we can do to minimise these. End result, ban rucks. Have back heal like boring old League or maybe restart with toss up or tap and pass. like in u9 (I think, can't remember the AGVL up here at the moment). I wouldn't like that as it'll change the game.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    I think you are experiencing a flashback not a dream. A quick look, I could not find it specified like it was before re write.
    15.3 .

Thread Information