Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dangerous rucks

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Then we'll have a discussion about what we can do to minimise these. End result, ban rucks. Have back heal like boring old League or maybe restart with toss up or tap and pass.
    RPS or RPSLS

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    did I dream that bit about shoulders below hips?
    It's there - but at the time the jackler grasps the ball there is no ruck (or they are guilty of illegal handling), so 15.3 doesn't yet apply.

In either case to pick up an object on the floor which maintaining head above hips, would make for quite an unusual jackle technique.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcroker View Post
    It's there - but at the time the jackler grasps the ball there is no ruck (or they are guilty of illegal handling), so 15.3 doesn't yet apply.

In either case to pick up an object on the floor which maintaining head above hips, would make for quite an unusual jackle technique.
    How are players coached to pick up a ball from the floor on the move?

There's your answer.

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Players going off their feet at the tackle, sealing off the ball, denying any opportunity for turnover, jacklers being hit without any attempt to bind, crocodile rolls which result on collapsing rucks and the roller going off their feet have all resulted in the tedious spectacle that was the European Champions Cup Final and enabled Leinster to grind out the last 15 mins of yesterday’s Pro14 Final.
    I am so sick and tired of going on about this issue and the damage that it has done to the game. Players in the amateur game expect that they can pre-bind and drive to ground or pull opposition players to the ground because they see it week in week out on the TV and coaches are encouraging this.
    I have refereed my last game at a 7s tournament yesterday and will not be resuming refereeing next season as I am sick of this Anarchy at the Breakdown, and fighting a lone battle on the pitch with the conflict between perception and the laws. You may say that I should be confident to apply the laws of the game and that the pro game is different but with 30 players on the pitch plus coaches, replacements and spectators on the sidelines all of whom believe that the laws should be interpreted differently and with those views being reinforced by referees at the top of the game, then what hope have we of retaining any credibility if we enforce completely different standards.
    There has been talk of banning the ruck or preventing jackling but we do not need to change the laws, they just need to be enforced. It would be a more exciting, more open and much safer game if they were.

End of my final rant....signing off.

Best wishes to you all in your refereeing futures.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Players going off their feet at the tackle, sealing off the ball, denying any opportunity for turnover, jacklers being hit without any attempt to bind, crocodile rolls which result on collapsing rucks and the roller going off their feet have all resulted in the tedious spectacle that was the European Champions Cup Final and enabled Leinster to grind out the last 15 mins of yesterday’s Pro14 Final.
    I am so sick and tired of going on about this issue and the damage that it has done to the game. Players in the amateur game expect that they can pre-bind and drive to ground or pull opposition players to the ground because they see it week in week out on the TV and coaches are encouraging this.
    I have refereed my last game at a 7s tournament yesterday and will not be resuming refereeing next season as I am sick of this Anarchy at the Breakdown, and fighting a lone battle on the pitch with the conflict between perception and the laws. You may say that I should be confident to apply the laws of the game and that the pro game is different but with 30 players on the pitch plus coaches, replacements and spectators on the sidelines all of whom believe that the laws should be interpreted differently and with those views being reinforced by referees at the top of the game, then what hope have we of retaining any credibility if we enforce completely different standards.
    There has been talk of banning the ruck or preventing jackling but we do not need to change the laws, they just need to be enforced. It would be a more exciting, more open and much safer game if they were.

End of my final rant....signing off.

Best wishes to you all in your refereeing futures.
    Sorry to hear about your decision. It can be a very lonely world out there even when you are refereeing in line with what most people believe is correct (well, half anyway, the opposition never seem to like how you referee).

I'm going to continue to try and fight the good fight, but I understand why you might not. I took some time out last season after getting royally cheesed off with the abuse from players, coaches, club officials and supporters. Time gave me some perspective, but this was in conjunction with some stress counselling which helped me segregate what is important and what isn't (and whose views are important to me and whose are not). The ones who still annoy me sometimes are coaches, they only come to speak to you after a game if they've lost, focussing on 1 or 2 out of the 150 decisions you made in a game. I had an argument with a coach right in front of their own poster about respecting the referee. I pointed it out to the coach who told me he knew what it said as he wrote it! You can't win with these sorts of people.

For the moment I let the vast majority just wash off my back and I drive home and enjoy the evening. Might not always be like this so I'll continue to referee while it is, and join you in retirement when I too get tired of fighting the good fight.

Best wishes.

Thread Information