Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    rugby alberta match officials association
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

If black got the ball in touch, you decide there are 2 players from each team at the line of touch so you call "lineout set" or however you let the teams know the QTI is no longer an option. Right after you call this the black player throws the ball in straight along the line of touch to the front receiver at 5.5m. Red was sauntering back assuming a more relaxed set up to the line out. They start crying that you had called of the QTI. Because the requirement for a QTI to be over is that a lineout has been set, Would it be appropriate to say that this was a quick line out not a quick throw in and that when a QTI is called off that simply removes the options of throwing in backwards or from behind the line of touch?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Assuming all Black are compliant?

Play on . Stop crying.

And then maybe have a quick chat with the captain to explain what just happened.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Was the "lineout" properly formed including straight lines, 1m apart, and everyone else 10m back, and a red player in the tramline ?

I wouldn't allow the OP as described as a valid lineout .
    Last edited by crossref; 31-05-19 at 07:05.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Was the "lineout" properly formed including straight lines, 1m apart, and everyone else 10m back, and a red player in the tramline ?

so to clarify - once 2 x 2 player lines are set you wouldn;t allow the throw in until both sides have fully clear 10m spacing??

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Law 18.35 doesn't require everyone else back 10 as long as they continue back 10. Looks like opponent in tram lines is a requirement.

Players not participating in the lineout must remain at least 10 metres from the mark of touch on their own team’s side or behind the goal line if this is nearer. If the ball is thrown in before a player is onside, the player will not be liable to sanction if the player immediately retires to the onside position. The player cannot be put onside by the action of any other player.

Which raises an interesting question. If opponent hasn't yet reached tramlines when ball is thrown, that is a FK infringement by that player. I can't see any reference to giving him time to reach the tramlines.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 31-05-19 at 09:05.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All our guidance is to work hard at getting line outs set up correcty - and then they run smoothly.
    This one sounds like chaos.

I think if you let that go all the red team, all the spectators and (in fact) most of the black team will all think you announced that the QTI was off - and then let them take one. There is nothing in it for the ref in this circumstance.

I think there are two ways to return a ball fro touch
    - a QTI which is unstrucutre, informal and quick
    - a lineout which is strucutred, formal, and is properly set up

The OP is neither one nor the other, and doesn't sound like good game management.
    Last edited by crossref; 31-05-19 at 10:05.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Law 18.35 doesn't require everyone else back 10 as long as they continue back 10. Looks like opponent in tram lines is a requirement.

Players not participating in the lineout must remain at least 10 metres from the mark of touch on their own team’s side or behind the goal line if this is nearer. If the ball is thrown in before a player is onside, the player will not be liable to sanction if the player immediately retires to the onside position. The player cannot be put onside by the action of any other player.

Which raises an interesting question. If opponent hasn't yet reached tramlines when ball is thrown, that is a FK infringement by that player. I can't see any reference to giving him time to reach the tramlines.
    Indeed, it reads as a requirement on the non-throwing team, not a requirement for a line-out to be formed per se, which seems to be covered minimally by 18.9-13. And 18.14 permits a quickly taken throw at the (minimal) line-out.

It might however be good management to allow time for a bit of order at a set piece.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the kicking team can get to the line of touch quickly, they're rewarded by having a chance to compete in the lineout rather than allow a (generally uncontested) QTI. So the throwing-in team has to comply with the lineout requirements and their opponents have a reasonable time to comply too, as is good LO management.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All our guidance is to work hard at getting line outs set up correcty - and then they run smoothly.
    This one sounds like chaos.

I think if you let that go all the red team, all the spectators and (in fact) most of the black team will all think you announced that the QTI was off - and then let them take one. There is nothing in it for the ref in this circumstance.

I think there are two ways to return a ball fro touch
    - a QTI which is unstrucutre, informal and quick
    - a lineout which is strucutred, formal, and is properly set up

The OP is neither one nor the other, and doesn't sound like good game management.
    i get that ... but that se4ems to benefit thebteam that is tardy and not orgainsed over the team that is on the ball, smart in their approach (in all senses of smart) and wants to get on with the game. why should they be constrained by the oppoosition deliberately taking time?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If teams are being tardy I will manage that as well (but not with a sudden unexpected lineout gotcha)

Thread Information