Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    What if Black captain says to you at the coin toss, "Occasionally we like to go quickly on our throw into the lineout Sir".
    What is your reply?
    I would say "thanks for the heads up" and I would make sure I kept myself alert and on my toes ready

What if a captain said to you "when the QTI is on, we are going to delay taking it indefinitely until the moment comes when you announce no QTI . And then when you say that and the oppo are offguard we will immediately throw it in and take them by surprise. It won't be a QTI it will be a QTLO"
    Last edited by crossref; 03-06-19 at 07:06.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    2 players along the line of touch. For a quick lineout if there isn't a player in the channel then just play a quick FK advantage, ball gets the to backs is advantage over, no need to stop a team wanted to expose the defence for relaxing.
    so if lineout player knocks on or throw isn't straight, you're going to reward them with a FK?
    Last edited by Dickie E; 03-06-19 at 07:06.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    How many players from the non-throwing team do you require to be in position to allow the quick throw in?
    I was hoping Simon would answer this, but I'll give my answer without his input.

None.

If the ball and thrower are at the line of touch, the ball may be thrown at anytime.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    2 players along the line of touch. For a quick lineout if there isn't a player in the channel then just play a quick FK advantage, ball gets the to backs is advantage over, no need to stop a team wanted to expose the defence for relaxing.
    This.
    The law is specific that two players from each team is all that is required to form a lineout.

The requirement for the dummy hooker isn't a prerequisite for a lineout to form or start, it's something that can be penalized for non compliance
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lineout: A lineout is a set piece consisting of a line of at least two players from each team waiting to receive a throw from touch.

I think the definition rules out a surprise lineout as described in the OP

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

time for a rugbyrefs.com poll?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    This.
    The law is specific that two players from each team is all that is required to form a lineout.

The requirement for the dummy hooker isn't a prerequisite for a lineout to form or start, it's something that can be penalized for non compliance
    Yep. For me, this is the nub.

If the thrower wants to throw when his opposing hooker is not in position, thats to his own disadvantage. The point of having the opposing hooker stand where he does is to prevent the non-throwing team from having a numerical advantage elsewhere.

Its more or less the same line of reasoning that applies if you have a line-out of, say six players from each team formed, and one of the throwing team suddenly retires, and the thrower throws in, you don't FK the non-throwing team for a numbers violation.

Note: I voted yes to all four scenarios. All you need is two players from each team at the LoT. Then, any player from the throwing team can throw the ball in along the LoT at least 5m and its game on.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 05-06-19 at 12:06.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well you could throw a ball into a general melee, catch it 5m out and score in the tramlines

The lack of an opponent in the tramlines would be very helpful to the throwing team in that plan

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

maybe the defenders should be a bit quicker at getting into place.

If the tramline player was there but the defending backline weren't covering the field width and the throwing team get their centre scoring under the posts through lack of a defender in a place to stop him, whose fault is that?

If a full oineout is sery up and lots of time given and oppo backline in place and both backlines back 10m and the tramline player isnt there (for whatever reason) do you stop the throw until the defnders have put somebody there after you've told them to?

Wales scored a try a couple of season or so ago in excetly this slow-setup-lineout-no-tramline-defender. I wrote an article on Dan's Rugby Coach Weekly at the time.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ok this has been interesting. In the World Rugby website, I can find no reference to a Quick Line Out, there is a QTI and a normal, bog standard, run of the mill lineout. So it would appear that the 2 players from each team may only prevent the QTI to be taken?? Then the throwing team would need to wait till the Lineout is properly formed.

There should be 2 options available the QTI, if that's not on then a properly formed lineout. Unless someone can show me the Law for the inbetween Quickly Taken Line Out.

I will add, I suppose it depends if a) The throwing team have declared their intent to have a lineout shortened to 2 participants and b) would you allow them to at the last second increase the number of participants if they've not declared.

Plus just reading the LO Law it does state that the non throwing team Must have a play in the 5m area. This suggests that if QTI is not available the the throwing team must wait till the lineout is actually set correctly.

The non-throwing team must have a player between the touchline and the five-metre line. The player stands two metres from the mark of touch on their team’s side of the lineout and two metres from the five-metre line. [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Sanction: [/COLOR][COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Free-kick.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Arabcheif; 05-06-19 at 15:06.

Thread Information