Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick Line out (not quick throw in)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Ok this has been interesting. In the World Rugby website, I can find no reference to a Quick Line Out, there is a QTI and a normal, bog standard, run of the mill lineout. So it would appear that the 2 players from each team may only prevent the QTI to be taken?? Then the throwing team would need to wait till the Lineout is properly formed.

There should be 2 options available the QTI, if that's not on then a properly formed lineout. Unless someone can show me the Law for the inbetween Quickly Taken Line Out.

I will add, I suppose it depends if a) The throwing team have declared their intent to have a lineout shortened to 2 participants and b) would you allow them to at the last second increase the number of participants if they've not declared.

Plus just reading the LO Law it does state that the non throwing team Must have a play in the 5m area. This suggests that if QTI is not available the the throwing team must wait till the lineout is actually set correctly.

The non-throwing team must have a player between the touchline and the five-metre line. The player stands two metres from the mark of touch on their team’s side of the lineout and two metres from the five-metre line. [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Sanction: [/COLOR][COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Free-kick.[/COLOR]
    No. It just means that if the non throwing team does NOT have a player in the tramlines they are liable to sanction. It does not mean the lineout cannot happen until there is one.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, provided the line out is correctly formed. This to me isn't a correctly formed line out unless the throwing team has stated that they want to shorten the LO to 2 participants. As a player and a ref, I'd work with a full LO unless advised by the throwing team that there was a change. If they've siad the LO was to be shortened to 2 Players then I may allow the LO. But again, it doesn't sit well as one sides players will no doubt be in an offside position.

EG - Black have kicked the ball into touch, QUI not on. 2 players from each side arrive (+thrower). Red declare they want the shortened LO to specify that there is 2 participant. They then take the throw, most of their team and the Black's players will be on their way up to Mark, therefore they all may be offside, def the throwing teams players as they're in front of the player who is playing/has last played the ball. There probably also in the way of the defenders who will no doubt be trying to tackle.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lineout: A lineout is a set piece consisting of a line of at least two players from each team waiting to receive a throw from touch

I don't think you can have a surprise lineout , any more than you can have a surprise scrum or a surprise restart kick

Even for those of you who think a surprise lineout is technically possible, I would suggest it's not good game management ... You won't he thanked for it
    Last edited by crossref; 05-06-19 at 17:06.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The 'old' Law book - bearing in mind we are repeatedly told there are "No new Laws" - made reference to players approaching the line out. It stated that any player approaching the line out was deemed to be a participating player, and so this always threw the whole QTI argument into somewhat of a puritanical debate.

Plus ca change
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Lineout: A lineout is a set piece consisting of a line of at least two players from each team waiting to receive a throw from touch

I don't think you can have a surprise lineout , any more than you can have a surprise scrum or a surprise restart kick

Even for those of you who think a surprise lineout is technically possible, I would suggest it's not good game management ... You won't he thanked for it
    Would you make the kicking team wait for the opposition to get ready at a restart after a score if they were all behind the 10-meter line? At a 22DO?
    Last edited by thepercy; 05-06-19 at 19:06.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Unless the throw is taken as soon as the lineout formed, the non-throwing team may not have more players (but may have fewer) in the lineout then the throwing team.

This seems to imply that you CAN throw the ball into a lineout as soon as it is formed. No need to wait for the oppo to organize, you just lose out the "numbers" sanction if you do.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    No. It just means that if the non throwing team does NOT have a player in the tramlines they are liable to sanction. It does not mean the lineout cannot happen until there is one.

didds
    Blue hooker sees 2 + 2 and no Red opponent. Throws ball straight to half back.

Peep. "Throw not straight. But first offence no Red player in tram lines. FK to Blue".

Is that how you're going to roll?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Would you make the kicking team wait for the opposition to get ready at a restart after a score if they were all behind the 10-meter line? At a 22DO?
    I would make the kicking team wait until the receiving team were all behind the 10m line . As per the Laws

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Blue hooker sees 2 + 2 and no Red opponent. Throws ball straight to half back.

Peep. "Throw not straight. But first offence no Red player in tram lines. FK to Blue".

Is that how you're going to roll?
    *shrug*.

Not straight, options clearly.

Fr4ankly the sanctionb for no tramlone player seems a bit strange TBH. Yes defenders may have an extra backline defender. But jnopw they've nopbody defensing the tramline corridor.

however I appreciate that is what the law says, whatever.

Its still options for not straight for me.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But the throwing team haven't declared they're having a shortened LO. Would you ping the non-throwing team for having too many players if they had 3 players and the throwing team only had 2? Unless they state otherwise, I'll make them wait every time for the LO to be properly formed. Unless they take a QTI, but this isn't permissible under these circumstances.

Thread Information