Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Premiership final

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    RFU Regulations do not allow that.

Some counties allow 2nd and lower teams to enter the leagues so the problem does arise occasionally that a team cannot be promoted.
    Yup, hence why we end up with two clubs being technically formed so that 1's and 2's can both play in the league structure, something we're exploring at my home club am told, all a bit of a ball ache, just want the best level of rugby for all teams

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Our Merit Table organisers are very pragmatic and we have some examples of two teams from the same club in the same division

OB I think RFU leagues are 1st team only aren't they ?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Like I said my club plays in 6th Division, and although some 6th Division clubs would beat those in 4th or even 3rd Division they will never be promoted, because 6th Div is for clubs with only 1 senior team. To get to 3rd Division or higher would require fielding 3 or 4 senior teams plus Colts as well as ground improvements
    How do you avoid a whole season of 80-0 meaningless victories/senseless drubbings at each end of the division?

edit: sorry, didn't see all the posts after this. So your divisions are more based on club size than competitive level?
    Last edited by Rich_NL; 06-06-19 at 12:06.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    How do you avoid a whole season of 80-0 meaningless victories/senseless drubbings at each end of the division?
    I'm guessing they don't and that it seems like it potentially could be a regular occurrence. It happens in my league too though, I think my team one 86 - 5 one game in the season before last. But we split that Div for last season and I don't think it happened (to us anyway).

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Our Merit Table organisers are very pragmatic and we have some examples of two teams from the same club in the same division

OB I think RFU leagues are 1st team only aren't they ?
    Sorry, yes, I was referring to RFU leagues, Merit leagues far more flexible. We have a national 1 first team and (did) have a very high standard 2nd and 3rd team as you might expect, however as the 1st team becomes more pro gaps have widened, to the effect that our 2s are in the majority our 3rds social players of old, and all the players in the middle have moved on to other local clubs as they want to play league rugby and move up the ranks. So we're investigating entering our 2s as a new club at the bottom of the structure which will hopefully be more attractive to the players. Basically we would have 6 levels of league rugby between the 2 teams, so never likely to meet.

A complicated solution to the problem, but exists because we can't play in a league structure for ours 2s and 3s (that was) appropriate to the standard :-(

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

edit: sorry, didn't see all the posts after this. So your divisions are more based on club size than competitive level?
    It doesnt happen often. Players that are top quality are encouraged to go up to a Shute Shield club rather than mess about in lower division suburban. One of our club juniors is crrently playing for Warringah first grade and his brother is in their third grade. We encouraged them to go up there. Meanwhile their less talented/dedicated brother and their dad still play for us.

Other clubs are similar. Rather than teams/clubs getting promoted, players do. They then come back. We have an ex Australian Sevens rep and an ex Waratah at our club now. Both in their 40's now and giving back to the game
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 06-06-19 at 13:06.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I don't have a problem with a 1st and 2nd XV playing in the same league, providing the 2 teams play it as a normal game and the 2nds don't just say, "let the 1sts win." But yeah it could happen but I'd expect the league administrator to deal with that as the situation arises. .
    As I said before it wouldnt work here as 2nds players provide the bench for 1sts, and players move fluidly between the teams based on form/injury/availability. They arent seperate entities, they are all one squad.

In cricket the season before last I played games in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th grades. Similar happens in rugby in big clubs
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 06-06-19 at 13:06.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You do get the odd upset e.g. from 2017/18 Zoo Shield
    Richmond Vikings (2nd XV) 19 - 25 Richmond Saxons (3rd XV)

Cambridge 3rdXV play in Eastern Counties 1 - a level Cambridge 1st XV were at 20 or so years ago - but cannot be promoted to the Divisional league.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    It doesnt happen often. Players that are top quality are encouraged to go up to a Shute Shield club rather than mess about in lower division suburban. One of our club juniors is crrently playing for Warringah first grade and his brother is in their third grade. We encouraged them to go up there. Meanwhile their less talented/dedicated brother and their dad still play for us.

Other clubs are similar. Rather than teams/clubs getting promoted, players do. They then come back. We have an ex Australian Sevens rep and an ex Waratah at our club now. Both in their 40's now and giving back to the game
    Ah right, how interesting. Here I think club loyalty is more of the culture - although if you have a standout player two divisions above the rest of the team they will often move to a club that can offer a challenge. But not often without remarks from the club they left.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ah right, how interesting. Here I think club loyalty is more of the culture - although if you have a standout player two divisions above the rest of the team they will often move to a club that can offer a challenge. But not often without remarks from the club they left.
    Blimey. How parochial!

didds

Thread Information