Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Premiership final

I am not sure what Marc is on about.

where I am every division of the Merit Tables finished the season with games uncompleted . The completion directors sort something out

We have two up two down relegation/promotion
    The team finishing top gets promoted by right, there is a play off for the second spot. That's the compromise they came to

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Replays occur on various days. Usually midweek but it depends on availability and other considerations. Again all in the planning.

Promotion and relegation makes the season inportand for longer foall all the teams not just those who have a change of getting into the playoffs.

Anyway promotion and relegation exist in Australian sport (eg football) Albeit not univerally. So, it is not a NH / Aussie issue.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I am not sure what Marc is on about.

where I am every division of the Merit Tables finished the season with games uncompleted . The completion directors sort something out

We have two up two down relegation/promotion
    The team finishing top gets promoted by right, there is a play off for the second spot. That's the compromise they came to
    In Gloucestershire Merit Tables, if teams do not play a game without a valid reason (eg weather) they both lose points.

Fortunately there is enough slack in the system that matches can be played if teams really want to.

We also have two up/two down as a means of re-ordering the teams for next season, but since the teams entering change from one year to the next, that can then get superseded by the need to provide sensible league structures.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed OB. Of course some games will be left unplayed, for example if they have no bearing on the relegation or promotion or titles issues. The norm is they are replayed or the teams are subject to foreit.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Replays occur on various days. Usually midweek but it depends on availability and other considerations. Again all in the planning.

Promotion and relegation makes the season inportand for longer foall all the teams not just those who have a change of getting into the playoffs.

Anyway promotion and relegation exist in Australian sport (eg football) Albeit not univerally. So, it is not a NH / Aussie issue.
    No professional sport in australia has pro/rel. It exists at a very limited level in some amateur sport but is based on things other than results.

My club could win our comp in sydney suburan rugby 6 years running and would stay where we are

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think I said "not universally". However it does exist. So some sports manage to overcome these "massive problems"!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I think I said "not universally". However it does exist. So some sports manage to overcome these "massive problems"!
    I dont get your point? What are the problems? The winner of our league is the winner of the last playoff game.

Promotion/relegation where it exists is not based on that. Its based on how many teams you field, ground facilities, location and finances. We dont need to catch up washouts vecause generally the best teams will make the playoffs regardless.

The last 2 teams admitted to the soccer A League were not promoted, they were artificial newly created clubs, as will be the next 2. When Penrith were admitted to thr Shute Shield rugby comp it was to get a team from western sydney, not because they were any good. Now they have been kicked out, but no other club was promoted. The top team in Suburban rugby Div One didnt take their place

Our system us much more like US baseball. Small clubs are feeders to large ones, not competitors

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    I dont get your point? What are the problems? The winner of our league is the winner of the last playoff game.

Promotion/relegation where it exists is not based on that. Its based on how many teams you field, ground facilities, location and finances. We dont need to catch up washouts vecause generally the best teams will make the playoffs regardless.

The last 2 teams admitted to the soccer A League were not promoted, they were artificial newly created clubs, as will be the next 2. When Penrith were admitted to thr Shute Shield rugby comp it was to get a team from western sydney, not because they were any good. Now they have been kicked out, but no other club was promoted. The top team in Suburban rugby Div One didnt take their place

Our system us much more like US baseball. Small clubs are feeders to large ones, not competitors
    Aussie Rules at a community level in Melbourne has promotion/relegation. The 2 grand finalists go up, 2 cellar dwellers go down.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Aussie Rules at a community level in Melbourne has promotion/relegation. The 2 grand finalists go up, 2 cellar dwellers go down.
    Yes, that's true, but only within the VAFA. They cant go up to VFL or AFL. I understand there are still eligibility rules too, so clubs can be refused promotion.

Sydney Subbies rugby technically has pro/rel (but not to Shute Shield) but its not automatic - and not based just on the 1st XV result.

Like I said my club plays in 6th Division, and although some 6th Division clubs would beat those in 4th or even 3rd Division they will never be promoted, because 6th Div is for clubs with only 1 senior team. To get to 3rd Division or higher would require fielding 3 or 4 senior teams plus Colts as well as ground improvements

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So, AMAZINGLY, Austrslia can fit does understand promotion and relegation. As I said. Who would have thought it?

Thread Information