Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Uncontested scrums

      
  1. #21
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    259

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    But you'd be happy to continue with contested scrums. You don't really seem to be that bothered about the pitch being unsafe provided you keep your major advantage??? Your argument that you feel the conditions would be unsafe to keep playing seems to be falling apart.

    Conditions don't have to be unsafe to play, but can be unsafe to have contested scrums. As a ref I wouldn't go uncontested unless I had too. We all want a good game, player, coaches and refs alike. But yeah, player safety needs to come first. At my level (that I play at), we all have jobs to go to on Monday.
    You are far to enlightened!

    Old ref I knew had a situation where he delcared the pitch unplayable both coaches said it was playable. The coaches were adament he start the game. He said If you really want to play, I will blow the whistle to start the game and then I will blow again and abandon the match. Your players will have warmed up changed, applied bandages etc for no reason. "Your call guys!". The coaches backed down.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 10-06-19 at 16:06.

  2. #22
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    259

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Well, if both teams said that they wanted to continue with contested scrums, that would give me pause for thought.
    Not me.

    I'd apply the same logic as we are, by the Welsh Rugby Union, told to regarding general terms about starting the match:

    REF says playable either side says no. Game does not start.

    Either or both sides say playable and ref says no. Game does not start.

    Both sides AND ref say playable. GAME ON.

    Same aplies to the scrum. IF either side wants to go uncontested OR the ref wants to then it is uncontested. End of story. If a coach or player wants t oact as a spoilt brat. Good luck to them! MY conscience is clear.

  3. #23

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    709
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    177

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Not me.

    I'd apply the same logic as we are, by the Welsh Rugby Union, told to regarding general terms about starting the match:

    REF says playable either side says no. Game does not start.

    Either or both sides say playable and ref says no. Game does not start.

    Both sides AND ref say playable. GAME ON.

    Same aplies to the scrum. IF either side wants to go uncontested OR the ref wants to then it is uncontested. End of story. If a coach or player wants t oact as a spoilt brat. Good luck to them! MY conscience is clear.
    Haven’t checked in regulations but the guidance you outline applies to all levels in England as well and it is certainly in my society documentation and that of the Division (Group in old parlance.) If a side asks to go uncontested then the matter is referred to the competition organisers to sort out and usually ask the referee for their opinion as to the validity. If the ref says he/she wants uncontested then it goes uncontested. The sides can appeal to the competition organisers after the game but to walk off will not do them any good. It has been known for a game to be replayed because of an appeal but the referee has never been blamed, or found fault with, for making the decision.
    Last edited by Balones; 10-06-19 at 21:06.

  4. #24

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    709
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    177

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Weather conditions are considered under regulation 13.6.6 and 13.6.7. Once started the referee has ‘absolute discretion’.

  5. #25

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,299
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    just a thought. Rather than go uncontested, could the ref impose U19 restrictions (ie 1.5 metre push)?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  6. #26

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,548
    Thanks (Received)
    59
    Likes (Received)
    894

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    just a thought. Rather than go uncontested, could the ref impose U19 restrictions (ie 1.5 metre push)?
    The OP _was_ an U19 game...

    didds

  7. #27
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    259

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    just a thought. Rather than go uncontested, could the ref impose U19 restrictions (ie 1.5 metre push)?
    In senior rugby, I would say no. However, you can play a match with U19 scrum laws: IF the relevant Union has sanctioned it (Law 19.39). That apart it is full law (with uncontested being avaiable under those laws)

  8. #28

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,299
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    In senior rugby, I would say no. However, you can play a match with U19 scrum laws: IF the relevant Union has sanctioned it (Law 19.39). That apart it is full law (with uncontested being avaiable under those laws)
    its a pity. Goldilocks scrums ... full scrums too dangerous, uncontested too safe. U19 ... just right.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #29

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,548
    Thanks (Received)
    59
    Likes (Received)
    894

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    its a pity. Goldilocks scrums ... full scrums too dangerous, uncontested too safe. U19 ... just right.
    Then again, from the OP

    "A match is payed under wet and soggy underfoot conditions . The ground is also uneven .

    This is an under 19 game .

    Three minutes into the first half and second scrum takes place and the front row collapses and a layer has a bad injury.The first scrum too was not steady ."

    So maybe not...

    didds

  10. #30
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    259

    Default Re: Uncontested scrums

    I think by saying: "Guys I don't think you're safe scrummaging. We will go to an U19 push" might be leaving the door open for an action against you later.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 11-06-19 at 18:06.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •