Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Lineout quiz

      
  1. #1

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,108
    Thanks (Received)
    135
    Likes (Received)
    1652

    Default Lineout quiz

    This is last week's quiz question over at Advantage Refereee

    I'll give the link/credit later, with the given answer : but first I am interested to see : what do RR.COM make of it ? especially those who are proponents of the "QTLO"

    I FOUGHT THE LAW & THE LAW WON #21:
    Team B attacking lineout, 5m from Team A goal line.
    Lineout is formed when B8 is walking to the receiver position at the front of the lineout. When he is about 4m from his team mates, he starts running forward towards the lineout, and at 2m from his team mates in the lineout, the thrower throws the ball in, and B8 catches the ball in the lineout and runs through and scores.

    Choices given :
    - FK to Team A
    - Try
    At Advantage the punters were split 60/40 on this one
    Last edited by crossref; 09-06-19 at 16:06.

  2. #2
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Try
    Receiver is not closer than 2m when line-out starts and is allowed to compete for ball once the line-out starts

  3. #3

    Referees in Wales
    tewdric's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    18 Sep 18
    Posts
    145
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    I say free kick as the 8 is not part of the lineout and, therefore, is not a player allowed to compete for the ball (29a).

    But it's a good question and you could argue it either way.

  4. #4

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    969
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    176

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    18.16 FK

    Unless Team B are the Barbarians.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  5. #5
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by tewdric View Post
    I say free kick as the 8 is not part of the lineout and, therefore, is not a player allowed to compete for the ball (29a).

    But it's a good question and you could argue it either way.
    There is a definition for participating players in a lineout, and it includes the receiver

  6. #6
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    18.16 FK
    On the basis that the receiver is running, not standing?

  7. #7

    Referees in Wales
    tewdric's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    18 Sep 18
    Posts
    145
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    That's the crux of it - standing at 2m is now set in stone. Passing through 2m on your run in doesn't count for me.

  8. #8
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by tewdric View Post
    That's the crux of it - standing at 2m is now set in stone. Passing through 2m on your run in doesn't count for me.
    Once the line-out starts the receiver can compete for the ball (29.a). So it's moving before the throw (running from 4m to 2m) that's the issue for you?

  9. #9

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,201
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    444

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    This is last week's quiz question over at Advantage Refereee

    I'll give the link/credit later, with the given answer : but first I am interested to see : what do RR.COM make of it ? especially those who are proponents of the "QTLO"



    At Advantage the punters were split 60/40 on this one
    FK to team A
    The lineout is formed
    B8 is moving into the receiver’s position and is therefore a participating player I.e not a lineout player
    If B8 wants to join the lineout he may do so before the ball is thrown providing a lineout player drops out to tchange places with B8
    Once the lineout begins, players in the lineout I.e “Lineout Players” May compete for the ball
    The tactic as described means that team B has an extra player in the lineout
    This scenario has nothing to do with a QTLO
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

  10. #10
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Lineout quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    FK to team A
    The lineout is formed
    B8 is moving into the receiver’s position and is therefore a participating player I.e not a lineout player
    If B8 wants to join the lineout he may do so before the ball is thrown providing a lineout player drops out to tchange places with B8
    Once the lineout begins, players in the lineout I.e “Lineout Players” May compete for the ball
    The tactic as described means that team B has an extra player in the lineout
    This scenario has nothing to do with a QTLO
    The distinction between lineout players and participants seems to be the crux.

    Dare I say that in 2017 it was explicit the receiver could join the line-out once the ball was thrown...now the wording is changed

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •