Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lineout quiz

Receivers, thrower and thrower’s opposite have always been “participating players” whilst those in the two lines are “lineout players”. Nothing has changed since 2017.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    This scenario has nothing to do with a QTLO
    In the QTLO thread there was a large (and fierce!) body of opinion that all that is really needed is 2 players from each team and providing you have that then a lineout can take place.
    If you argued that position , then your answer to this question must be that we have 2x2 and nothing else matters so Try

Conversely, if you think the precise position and timing of B8 is important you can't be allowing QTLO in a general melee where V8 would be impossible to observe
    Last edited by crossref; 10-06-19 at 06:06.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In the QTLO thread there was a large (and fierce!) body of opinion that all that is really needed is 2 players from each team and providing you have that then a lineout can take place.
    If you argued that position , then your answer to this question must be that we have 2x2 and nothing else matters so Try

Conversely, if you think the precise position and timing of B8 is important you can't be allowing QTLO in a general melee where V8 would be impossible to observe
    Nope.
    In the Advantage Referee scenario, B8 becomes an extra lineout player plain and simple. The two scenarios, this one and a QTLO are completely different.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Receivers, thrower and thrower’s opposite have always been “participating players” whilst those in the two lines are “lineout players”. Nothing has changed since 2017.
    From 2017:
    Once the lineout has commenced , the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform
    all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Here is Advantage answer (FK)

.This is a tough one for many reasons.
    Originally the Law stated that the receiver needs to be at least 2m from the lineout and may not move into the lineout until the lineout has commenced. New Law book states, "If a team elects to have a receiver, the receiver stands between the five-metre and the 15-metre lines, two metres away from their team-mates in the lineout. Each team may have only one receiver. Sanction: Free-kick.
    In this example it would appear that the player gained a clear advantage from not being in the correct position, however, we have seen tries allowed recently where players are 2.5m or 3m out and start moving a step before the throw. I would recommend that if the player is in the region of 2m and clearly takes up the position of the receiver, i.e. stops for a moment, and is not within 2m when the ball leaves the hands of the thrower, play on. In this example it would have to be a FK.
    https://www.facebook.com/18318061590...7202156833864/

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

FK to team A

This scenario has nothing to do with a QTLO
    This scenario is about whether the lineout is set properly .. who is in the lineout , who is not in it, what are their roles ? and are they standing in the right places when the lineout commences.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Actually, having thought about the comemnts here I believe there are two reasons why the try should not be awarded:

If we regard 8 as a receiver he/she is initially standing in the wrong place - free kick. (If they are not a receiver plain offside - penalty.)

Either way 8 is not a lineout player (defined as one of the players forming the lines) and thus cannot compete for the ball in the lineout.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm I had thought that it did say that the receiver could enter the line. But it doesn't specifically say. However as has been said, it said in 2017 that he/she could. We've been further advised on many other threads that there have been no law changes since then. So I'd suggest there's no issue with B8 on this occasion entering the line to compete. Provided he was in the right place to start with.

It sounds like he may not have been, so on that basis FK. Although in real time in my level, I'd never be able to see that, so I'd prob award the try.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What's your answer based on the current laws ?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think I might raise the receiver joining the line point at the next society meeting - the implication of the 2019 law, by stating that line out players can compete for the ball, is that non-line out players can't - but it doesn't explicitly say so. As Arabchielf has said we were told no new laws when the "simplifications" were made.

Doesn't change my answer to the question though!

Thread Information