Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lineout quiz

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    What's your answer based on the current laws ?

Mine?

He's fine and can enter the line and compete, so no issue with that. Try for me.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

To add to potential intrigue does joining a maul (I'm thinking thrower and receiver here) before the maul has passed the mark of touch count as competing for the ball in the lineout?

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with Treadmore on this one. Before the re-write of the laws the receiver joining the line-out once the line out had commenced was specifically allowed in law and was something the team I coached employed as a standard line out move. I used to mention it to referees prior to the game and can't remember one who questioned the legality of the move. So I guess now it depends on which side of the fence you reside. If you are in the nothing has changed but the words camp then this tactic is still permitted however if you are in the changing the words changes the law whatever you say then this tactic would not be justifiable. The further away we go from the 2017 law book rewrite the fewer referees will permit the move. Still nothing changed eh?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We have to answer these questions using the current Law book, it simply cannot be the case that answering a Law question requires a referee to have access to historic Law books -- documents that aren't even on the WR website..

The Laws in 2019 is what is in the 2019 Law Book.
    The contents of the 2017 Law book matter more more than the contents of 2016, 2018 or 1947 Law books

Now, it seems to me there are two Law questions posed in the scenario

1 - can the receiver come into the line and catch the ball?

Answer Yes -
    18. 29 Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may: Compete for possession of the ball.

That's clear enough

2 - is B8 correctly positioned as a receiver.
    Answer No

18.16 If a team elects to have a receiver, the receiver stands between the five-metre and the 15-metre lines, two metres away from their team-mates in the lineout. Each team may have only one receiver. Sanction: Free-kick.
    the receiver has to stand, 2m back.
    B8 was running in from a distance, and because he caught the ball his moving start was material.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We have to answer these questions using the current Law book, it simply cannot be the case that answering a Law question requires a referee to have access to historic Law books -- documents that aren't even on the WR website..

The Laws in 2019 is what is in the 2019 Law Book.
    The contents of the 2017 Law book matter more more than the contents of 2016, 2018 or 1947 Law books

Now, it seems to me there are two Law questions posed in the scenario

Answer Yes -
    18. 29 Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may: Compete for possession of the ball.

That's clear enough

2 - is B8 correctly positioned as a receiver.
    Answer No

the receiver has to stand, 2m back.
    B8 was running in from a distance, and because he caught the ball his moving start was material.
    I agree we should use 2019 law book CR but:

Re 1 the receiver is a participating player at a lineout, not in a lineout. So I would say 2019 lawbook does not say the receiver can join the line-out once it commences. "At" vs "In"

Re 2 yes laws say "stand" and in OP the receiver wasn't stood...but do we really expect to enforce no movement at all? Until when?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Answer Yes -

That's clear enough
    Except that the receiver does not appear to be regarded as "in the lineout" in the 2019 rulebook - look at 18.27.a and 18.27.d and there is a distinction made.

Also, the definition of a receiver is: "The player in a position to receive the ball if it is knocked or passed back from a lineout" which again implies the receiver isn't "in" the lineout.

There is nothing in the 2019 rules that says the receiver can join the lineout.

So the answer to the question: "Can the receiver come into the line and catch the ball?" Is probably no, although it's the joining issue that I think needs clarification hence my comment upthread about raising it at a society meeting.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing as we quite often like to balance on a pin head when it comes to precise meaning of words in the laws, does the 2Ms refer to one foot or two feet away from the line of players? If the receiver’s left foot is 2M from the line and his right foot 2.5M from the line of players can we allow him to move his right foot forward before the ball is thrown in? In such circumstances is he moving before the ball is thrown? If he is than surely the laws must stipulate, to avoid any confusion, that any receiver must stand squarely with two feet parallel to the line of players before the ball is thrown. If he is facing away from the lineout and reverses into the lineout before the ball is thrown is he moving forwards or backwards?
    Ouch, that pin hurts.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    I agree we should use 2019 law book CR but:

Re 1 the receiver is a participating player at a lineout, not in a lineout. So I would say 2019 lawbook does not say the receiver can join the line-out once it commences. "At" vs "In"

Re 2 yes laws say "stand" and in OP the receiver wasn't stood...but do we really expect to enforce no movement at all? Until when?
    I don't think the law book properly defines a line out player nor a player in the lineout , and it doesn't use the term participating player, does it ?
    So I think we use natural language and the receiver is part of the lineout, a lineout player

As to the moving , I don't think we pay too much attention to that UNLESS moving is taking a running jump and catches the ball, as is the case here

I agree it's worth a qu. to the society though

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally because of the ambiguity in the scenario I would be happy for a referee to reset the lineout without penalising.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What I do see quite often is the ball being thrown in when the two lines are set but the receiver is still moving to his/her position. Should we disallow this because the receiver is more than 2M away and moving (running) into position? If we disallow one type of movement why not the other? Is it simply because the ball comes to the receiver rather than the receiver comes to the ball?

Thread Information