Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Brumbies vs Reds YC

@Pinky - Using the decision making framework for shoulder/No Arms or High tackles. His arms were neither behind his body or in a "sling" position. So then it becomes an issue of height. The ref seems to be saying it was high. Now I saw shoulder to should contact, this isn't high unless you're using the Law trial that was using the arm pit as the line. If you're not using the trial, then the tackle is fine, yes he could've tackled him lower but as @Cross said, this doesn't mean the tackle was a high tackle. Again to call it as late would've been overly harsh and as I said I felt it was within tolerance, so it's fine.

Based on what the ref has said in the above transcript, it was a rubbish call. Tackle was fine. Only thing was that there was a lot of force, but this is rugby, force is required. Don't like tackle rugby? play touch.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    @Pinky - Using the decision making framework for shoulder/No Arms or High tackles. His arms were neither behind his body or in a "sling" position. So then it becomes an issue of height. The ref seems to be saying it was high. Now I saw shoulder to should contact, this isn't high unless you're using the Law trial that was using the arm pit as the line. If you're not using the trial, then the tackle is fine, yes he could've tackled him lower but as @Cross said, this doesn't mean the tackle was a high tackle. Again to call it as late would've been overly harsh and as I said I felt it was within tolerance, so it's fine.

Based on what the ref has said in the above transcript, it was a rubbish call. Tackle was fine. Only thing was that there was a lot of force, but this is rugby, force is required. Don't like tackle rugby? play touch.
    i don't think he did enough with his right arm to make this a tackle, so I would go for a shoulder charge, not head contact (but only as the bc fell so quickly!) with high danger, so YC is correct sanction for me.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does the decsion framework not state for a should charge, with a high level of danger it's a RC?......

Just double checked, no you're right about that. But I disagree, based on the position of the tacklers arms. This doesn't fit the description of a shoulder charge according to the framework.
    Last edited by Arabcheif; 20-06-19 at 10:06.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Does the decsion framework not state for a should charge, with a high level of danger it's a RC?......

Just double checked, no you're right about that. But I disagree, based on the position of the tacklers arms. This doesn't fit the description of a shoulder charge according to the framework.
    Ok to disagree, as this is a part of judgement. But for me the arm never contacted the BC and so it is hard to see how that makes it a tackle!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me this was a shoulder charge (common usage), that doesn't meet the WR definition of a shoulder-charge and therefore isn't one; neither do I think it's clear that there is head-contact... On which basis I am not sure the new decision making framework applies.

However, irrespective of the framework, players still have to comply with law 9.16, just as they did before ...

9.16 A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without attempting to grasp that player.

For me the arm does not do enough to constitute an attempt by the tackler to grasp the tackled player, and I am fine with the outcome No-Try, PK, YC on the basis of infringing 9.16 (if not entirely fine with the ref's explanation).

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I couldn't be more in agreement with Ian, to be absolutely clear this is a massive cheap shot on the ball carrier, leading with his shoulder he had no clue whether he would first impact the head, shoulder or wherever. His right arm only ends up where it does, not because he is trying to wrap to make the tackle but having missed the 10's head with his shoulder he appears to want to complete the job he intended. His actions are reckless and dangerous. I think the ref's decision was justified and he's lucky it was only a yellow.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Play on .

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Play on .
    Go on....what's your rationale?

It's as straightforward a card as you'll see.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    It's as straightforward a card as you'll see.
    But is it? It wasn't high, it wasn't late and it wasn't a shoulder charge. All I heard was "it could have been lower and there was considerable force". Is that enough for a card?

[Note: I'm good with the YC because there was no attempt to wrap. But "attempt to wrap" appears to have gone by the wayside.]
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

By the referee own verbal reason ,,its not covered in law .

Watch it in real speed ( rugby is not played in slow motion ) ,,& for me this is where the TMO slow speed ,,is painting a different picture .

For me he went to tackle the ball carrier & there is an attempt to wrap
    All be it ,,not a great tackle .
    Rugby is a contact sport .
    And with the world cup approaching ,,i think nations will all be worried ,,with this being a card .
    The referee reasoning is not a penalty ..

Thread Information