Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After Maul Collapse. Can opposition play it with hands when off feet? Bath v Glos

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Re: After Maul Collapse. Can opposition play it with hands when off feet? Bath v Glos

I think Law clarification 2 2011 attempts an answer to this. ARU asked:
    When a maul collapses, are players who go to ground able to interfere with the ball as it is being made available while they are still off their feet? If not, what is the sanction and what is the basis in Law?”

If this occurs Law 17 has not been applied because the ball has not been made available immediately and the referee should have stopped the game and awarded a scrum or a penalty sanction dependent on the actions of players before.
    Then Law 17 is now Law 16 Maul

So WR would like the referee to blow earlier too. Given that the ref didn’t blow immediately, how about
    Law 9.7a.
    A player must not:
    Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    He knows he is off his feet, yet intentionally prevents his opponent from playing the ball. Probably with the intention of winning the scrum, so why reward him for infringing ?
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 02-07-19 at 16:07.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: After Maul Collapse. Can opposition play it with hands when off feet? Bath v Glos

Because his infringement is moot, the maul was already over and the ref should have peeped .

It's actually a really good learning point, I think, as soon as the mail goes down if the ball is not immediately available best to peep .

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: After Maul Collapse. Can opposition play it with hands when off feet? Bath v Glos

There is an audible chime on the video when the maul is over. The red original ball carrier at the chime has both knees on the ground.

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    There is an audible chime on the video when the maul is over. The red original ball carrier at the chime has both knees on the ground.
    Yeah ignore that. Sorry ! It was my mobile phone getting a text when I was recording it. Not on the game audio.
    Lol

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Because his infringement is moot, the maul was already over and the ref should have peeped .

It's actually a really good learning point, I think, as soon as the mail goes down if the ball is not immediately available best to peep .
    So first infringement? Collapsed maul, ball not playable.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with the ref. Ball not C&O available, turnover scrum.

If "immediately" roughly means the amount of time it takes to say "immediately", that ball takes too long - if it was a tackled player holding a ball that long, you'd blow it up.

And my feeling is that if you're going to be that generous to promote game continuity, you should give Faletau a warning rather than spring a gotcha on him.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I can't see the video ATM, my work PC won't let me open it. But if a player is off his/her feet, he/she should know that he/she is not on their feet, they can't play the the call. So, there isn't really a gotcha moment??

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I can't see the video ATM, my work PC won't let me open it. But if a player is off his/her feet, he/she should know that he/she is not on their feet, they can't play the the call. So, there isn't really a gotcha moment??
    You need to see the video really, in orde to comment on the video :-)

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    You need to see the video really, in orde to comment on the video :-)
    Yeah, I was more commenting in general terms. I'll try and see the video on my break via my Mobile.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Then you go back for the scrum turnover, and don't override it with the penalty against - that would be the gotcha.

Thread Information