Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: what about this tackle --

Good points
    Of course if a tackler is stationary he is much less committed than of he is running

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

it is always easier to pull out of a side on tackle than a head on tackle with the ball carrier bearing down on you, even with the same timescales involved. For this reason I would always advise taking unto account the nature/direction of tackle/impact when assessing a situation and deciding on a possible sanction.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think that is a definition of 'late'

I haven't seen a definition of 'committed' but it does occur to me that since tacklers are given credit for being 'committed' it may well be a good idea - cynically - to launch yourself - out of control - from a distance. So you may be late -- but on the other hand you are committed
    This might be a "good" tactic if you sole intention is to make tackles after the ball is gone, but why would you do that? Does that give you any advantage in a rugby match? This type of defense will likely see your opponent gaining ground and scoring, since the ball is away and you are taking yourself out of future plays, and will also cause a few missed tackles.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    This might be a "good" tactic if you sole intention is to make tackles after the ball is gone, but why would you do that? Does that give you any advantage in a rugby match? This type of defense will likely see your opponent gaining ground and scoring, since the ball is away and you are taking yourself out of future plays, and will also cause a few missed tackles.
    Well, that's pretty much what I thought was happening in that other thread we discussed a whole ago .. the South African school boy thread. Was he deliberately trying to hurt someone or was he just committed ?

NB For this incident .. I agree it's play on
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 16:07.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Well, that's pretty much what I thought was happening in that other thread we discussed a whole ago .. the South African school boy thread. Was he deliberately trying to hurt someone or was he just committed ?
    For me I think the SA SB was committed and his timing was just off, he couldn't predict what the ball carrier was going to do. I think he was deliberately trying to tackle the ball carrier, and the ball carrier made a good play to get the ball away just before being tackled. Why is it more dangerous to be tackled just after you passed the ball then if you have the ball in your hands?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    . Why is it more dangerous to be tackled just after you passed the ball then if you have the ball in your hands?
    Let's not go back to that specific incident as we did it to death

But I like your general question.

The difference is whether you are prepared for the possibility. All the time you have the ball you are prepared for a tackle

So it will make a difference if the tackler is unseen or very very late

Thread Information