Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hard of hearing referees?

I recently found an old post about Deaf Rugby, and was surprised to find you can qualify with only moderate hearing loss (25db average).

i referee and I’m now classed as severely hard of hearing. Minimum 40db loss at lower frequencies to profound, meaning total loss at higher frequencies). I use hearing aids and although I do struggle to hear the players sometimes I’ve not found my hearing a significant barrier. In some ways it helps as I can ignore sideline abuse as although I can hear the sound I’ve no idea who is saying what so can’t get offended by it.

the main problem is wind noise as there is no way of shielding the hearing aid mics like you would a normal mike (you’d look a bit silly with loads of fluffy stuff around your ears!)

anyone else referee with hearing loss and got any experiences to share?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hard of hearing referees?

Perhaps you found one of Wireless’ posts. While the gentleman wasn’t a referee, it might be worth your while contacting Deaf Rugby and asking them. Alternatively, send him an email (although with the amount of spam he has received since posting his email address on this site, he may have changed emails by now)

Deaf rugby... what?
    (This archived discussion has a link to an article the member did for Robbie.)
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 09-07-19 at 15:07.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have a former colleague here in New York that used hearing aids. If there was any back chat he would start by mentioning that he couldn't hear them, then he'd turn the volume down, then if it continued he would take the hearing aid off.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I have a former colleague here in New York that used hearing aids. If there was any back chat he would start by mentioning that he couldn't hear them, then he'd turn the volume down.
    So, does anyone think that by saying this you are calling him a liar and impugning his integrity ?

Sorry couldn't resist it. No need to amswer
    Last edited by crossref; 09-07-19 at 17:07.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Potomac Rugby Football Referees Society
    Grade
    C2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have a hearing loss but use in-ear-canal hearing aids. I occasionally get wind noise but it's never a problem as a 5 degree turn of the head will get rid of it.

I appreciate these aren't the cheapest option but they work for me when refereeing and in general life.

FWIW, here in Potomac (that's the Society covering DC, MD and Northern Virginia) we have a deaf school where we officiate. The players are great and for the scrum engagement the referee actually quickly inserts their hand into the tunnel on each command so everyone knows when to engage. If the referee blows to stop play then any player who has heard the whistle stops and stands with both arms up - those who couldn't hear the whistle quickly get the message.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That sound like it must make for a wonderfully disciplined game

Thread Information