Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Samoa v USA

      
  1. #21

    Referees in Wales
    tewdric's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    18 Sep 18
    Posts
    160
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    The timing wasnt half a second later it was milliseconds. The closest of close calls but I agree with Crossref in thst this sort of scenario is what the law is trying to prevent. Even if we argue immaculate timing and infer that his intention was to kick the ball in flight, its so close here as to be reckless IMHO.

  2. #22

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,518
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1535

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Notice the wording of 9.23

    A player must not attempt to kick the ball from the hands of the ball-carrier


    So it's an offence just to try, ie it's still an offence if he just misses or if the ball carrier releases the ball a fraction of a second earlier .
    No. He is trying to kick the ball just after it has been passed (less risk of a knock-on!).

    Why is the Law written that way ? Because the practice is dangerous
    Because if the law simply said "must not kick the ball from the hands" it would not have covered a failed attempt.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  3. #23

    Referees in Wales
    tewdric's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    18 Sep 18
    Posts
    160
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Why isn't this commonplace then?

  4. #24

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,518
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1535

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tewdric View Post
    Why isn't this commonplace then?
    Because it is not easy to kick that high when running - it slows you down?
    Because nobody thinks of it?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  5. #25

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,420
    Thanks (Received)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    1684

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Because it is not easy to kick that high when running - it slows you down?
    Because nobody thinks of it?
    because its against the Law to attempt to kick the ball from someone's hands?
    because its dangerous?

  6. #26

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,326
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1291

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tewdric View Post
    Why isn't this commonplace then?
    there is a higher chance of success if you catch the ball than if you fly hack it.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  7. #27

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,518
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1535

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    there is a higher chance of success if you catch the ball than if you fly hack it.
    There is also a higher chance of a knock-on.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  8. #28

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,420
    Thanks (Received)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    1684

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Kicking the ball out of people's hands, especially as they go to kick it , might well be an attractive idea, for some players, but it's obv dangerous , so they made a Law against it

  9. #29

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,297
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    214

    Arrow Re: Samoa v USA

    Any ever seen anything remotely like this incident in a grassroots game? Or on TV?
    I don’t believe for one minute the law makers had this in mind when writing 9.23.

    At the risk of repeating myself, they more than likely were thinking of a Law 21.11 type situation.

    If a tackled player is in the act of reaching out to ground the ball for a try or touch down, players may pull the ball from the player’s possession but must not kick or attempt to kick the ball. Sanction: Penalty.
    Notice the sanction isn’t a card.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  10. #30
    Player or Coach

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    02 Nov 18
    Posts
    404
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default Re: Samoa v USA

    Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Any ever seen anything remotely like this incident in a grassroots game? Or on TV?
    I don’t believe for one minute the law makers had this in mind when writing 9.23.

    At the risk of repeating myself, they more than likely were thinking of a Law 21.11 type situation.

    If a tackled player is in the act of reaching out to ground the ball for a try or touch down, players may pull the ball from the player’s possession but must not kick or attempt to kick the ball. Sanction: Penalty.
    Notice the sanction isn’t a card.
    I disagree, the player isn't reaching out to score a try. I think it's a very close call, but yeah I'm not sure there's anything technically wrong here. The ball is no longer in hands, the length of time for me is irrelevant it not in hands, the ball has been thrown for the pass. Again if the ball had been in hands or the foot had made contact with the BC, then we'd have a different issue. Would you penalise someone for kicking the ball just before reaching the recipient? Just before being pick up off the ground? Would you penalise someone for tacking a player in the air as he lands because a fraction of a second earlier? I suggest the answer to these is "No." I wouldn't. I understand why in the OP some would say yes, as it looks wrong but there doesn't really seem to be anything covering it in Law.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •