Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jackaling

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    So, to clarify, I can run "recklessly" into an opponent who is competing for the ball and bash him off because the ruck isn't formed yet? Nope not buying. You're not allowed to just bash someone of, you must either before or simultaneously bind before/as you make contact.

9.20 (a) A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul.
    Well I quoted you the law. If you choose to ignore it then i'm done.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And I quoted another rucking Law. Where do we go from here??

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So, to clarify, I can run "recklessly" into an opponent who is competing for the ball and bash him off because the ruck isn't formed yet? Nope not buying. You're not allowed to just bash someone of, you must either before or simultaneously bind before/as you make contact.

9.20 (a) A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul.
    You don't need to buy it, that's the way the law works.

There's a tackle. Until two opposing players make physical contact, there's no ruck. Once that happens - say, red 6 grabs blue 12's shirt and tries to wrestle him away without binding - there's a ruck. Now, any subsequent players have to bind on from behind the ruck.

9.20 doesn't apply to red 6, because the ruck doesn't exist before the contact.

So: as soon as physical contact is made, the ruck exists and the would-be jackaller can't use hands. Binding isn't required to prevent the jackal - even resting your hands on the jackaller is enough.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    You don't need to buy it, that's the way the law works.

There's a tackle. Until two opposing players make physical contact, there's no ruck. Once that happens - say, red 6 grabs blue 12's shirt and tries to wrestle him away without binding - there's a ruck. Now, any subsequent players have to bind on from behind the ruck.

9.20 doesn't apply to red 6, because the ruck doesn't exist before the contact.

So: as soon as physical contact is made, the ruck exists and the would-be jackaller can't use hands. Binding isn't required to prevent the jackal - even resting your hands on the jackaller is enough.
    So R6 Grabs B12's shirt. This is binding.

But I'll defer and when I get Red Carded for charging in, and take it to the SRU, I'll be sure to quote you guys.... Wish me luck.
    When he you ever seen someone resting their hands on someone in a ruck situation. I've only seen it when the support player of the BC gets there first and there's no jackaller.

Further to this, the would be jackaller is still permitted to keep his hands there, provided he's had them on the ball before the ruck is formed.
    Last edited by Arabcheif; 09-08-19 at 12:08.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So R6 Grabs B12's shirt. This is binding.
    No, it's not at all. Check your definitions:

Binding: Grasping another player’s body firmly between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.

But I'll defer and when I get Red Carded for charging in, and take it to the SRU, I'll be sure to quote you guys.... Wish me luck.
    Charging is still illegal and cardable in open play. But if you get carded for charging into a ruck when there was no ruck, you might have a case.

Point is: you don't need to bind to form a ruck. You do to join a ruck.

When he you ever seen someone resting their hands on someone in a ruck situation. I've only seen it when the support player of the BC gets there first and there's no jackaller.

Further to this, the would be jackaller is still permitted to keep his hands there, provided he's had them on the ball before the ruck is formed.
    Can't start using hands, I should indeed have said. And the resting hands was by means of example, not a playing tip.
    Last edited by Rich_NL; 09-08-19 at 13:08.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

FORMING A RUCK
    2. A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet
    and over the ball which is on the ground.

JOINING A RUCK
    5. An arriving player must be on their feet and join from behind their offside line.
    6. A player may join alongside but not in front of the hindmost player.
    7. A player must bind onto a team-mate or an opposition player. The bind must precede or
    be simultaneous with contact with any other part of the body.

Binding: Grasping another player’s body firmly between the shoulders and the hips with the
    whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.

A player is stood over the ball attempting to jackle it (or not).
    An opposition player comes in and grabs him by holding his shirt, or arm, or attempting to drive him off the ball. NOW a ruck is formed.
    Yes he must make contact legally and safely, but he doesn't need to satisfy the definition of binding by making contact with a full arm from wrist to shoulder.
    If his first contact with the would be jackler is to shoulder charge him to the head then of course he will get penalised, but if he just grabs his shirt and tries to pull him away then he is legal and we have a ruck, even though he hasn't bound on (according to the definition of binding).
    Further players joining what is now a ruck must bind on and not just stand to the side of the ruck resting a hand on the back of a fellow player. They are not bound, so are not part of the ruck and are therefore offside (in front of the back foot).

I hope that has made it clearer.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If you have to engage an opponent (make contact) to get to the ball then he has "arrived" at the ruck and no hands are allowed.

Same applies for the arriving BC support, he can play the ball back with his hands(or pick it up) until contact with an opponent creates a true ruck. Any disagreement here?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Two opposing players arrive at the breakdown.
    Both decide to try to get the ball and squat to get hands on.
    They meet, shoulder to shoulder without binding on each other.

Ruck formed.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure this conversation is helping OP much....

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For the OP: If the jackler can get hands on the ball without making contact with the BC support then the BC support hasn't yet "arrived".

Thread Information