Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tackle change

With the line drop out, where will the oppos be? If its the same as a 22 (ie they are on the goal line) its going to be hard on the kicker

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    With the line drop out, where will the oppos be? If its the same as a 22 (ie they are on the goal line) its going to be hard on the kicker
    TC, we will see this at the end of Aug in NRC. I assume oppos will need to be 10 metres and the kick will need to go 10 metres. But who knows?

What if the kick doesn't go 10 and is played by an opponent? Play on, advantage or retake?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    TC, we will see this at the end of Aug in NRC. I assume oppos will need to be 10 metres and the kick will need to go 10 metres. But who knows?
    That would make sense, but to be consistent with other restarts it should be a 5m drop out. Also will it be like a 22 - anywhere along the line, like league from under the posts, or like the current restart in line with the holding up?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Tackle change

On the 50:22 does it have the bounce in the oppo 22. Or go onto touch inside the oppo 22? (Or both)

And presumably 'taken back' would apply , so you can't take the ball into your own half and then do a 50 22 m kick ?

I think there is a lot for the community ref to monitor
    Last edited by crossref; 09-08-19 at 07:08.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    On the 50:22 does it have the bounce in the oppo 22. Or go onto touch inside the oppo 22? (Or both)
    I think both - not sure it makes sense otherwise.

And presumably 'taken back' would apply , so you can't take the ball into your own half and then do a 50 22 m kick ?
    This is a really good point, and one I had overlooked. Now I’m looking forward to it even less :-(

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever new laws are suggested or old ones modified I try to analyse what is proposed in terms of how it is possible for all referees across all levels to be able to apply consistency throughout an individual game and across all referees, with appropriate training of course. I have some doubts about the ability to do this in relation to the tackle proposal. Hence the title of the thread rather than mention of the article as a whole. I was trying to elicit specific opinion on the ‘tackle’. Buff has touched in some areas of this proposed law that could raise issues. No specific guidance has been provided yet as to how the law should be applied so I will reserve judgement until then, but I can see the need for some very clear and extensive guidance so that we can apply some consistency. So much for simplifying the laws! Surely ball carriers are taught, partly for self preservation, to actually dip into a would be tackle to avoid being tackled. To be able to get below the waist in some circumstances would mean the tackler would have to practically lay on the floor. - Another can of worms! Also, where exactly is ‘the waist’? It differs on each person so how is the tackler supposed to know? A line across the chest between armpits is a lot easier to imagine. Tacklers must make contact with the shorts? Hence my concern about consistency across the game.

Personally I have suffered more injuries from a badly positioned/timed tackle on somebody’s hip rather than on their midriff.
    Last edited by Balones; 09-08-19 at 10:08.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Until told otherwise, I will assume it can bounce anywhere in the field of play before going into touch inside the 22.

.Good point. I would assume so.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So far as I can tell NONE of these trials will apply in grassroots rugby in England next season

But correct me if I am wrong ?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Neither England or Wales as far as I can see - certainly nothing was mentioned at the recent Dragons/Blues regions refs conference.

I think we have enough on our plates with the high tackle / shoulder charge guidance. I don't think many at community level have grasped how much of a change it is going to be.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Also, where exactly is ‘the waist’? It differs on each person so how is the tackler supposed to know?
    I presume it's elite-level guidance only. I mean, at grassroots it's something that only the backs really have...

Thread Information