Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kurtley beale - lucky to stay on the field?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kurtley beale - lucky to stay on the field?

Anyone know when Barrett's hearing is? Beale should also be cited
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

With slo-mo. Goodhue kicks. KB turns. G runs forward. KB has to keep line because of momentum. Could he have deviated away? KB’s arm is never raised. G is going down slightly. Shoulder doesn’t make contact with head.
    Play on. Penalty at absolute best/worst case for late tackle. Marginal but players at this level can read situations very quickly. If penalty - advantage. No citing. Looked slightly worse in full speed than in slo-mo.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't see the game but watched the condensed highlights on you tube. On first viewing I thought "hmm, that looks dodgy, Kurtley", and replays of the try certainly didn't change my initial gut reaction.

It looks to me to be a shoulder charge, Beale's arm is tucked into his body and he prepares for a collision but turning his body round. Previously my rationale would have been "definite PK, yellow territory". Obvoiusly NZ took their advantage and scored the try, but the moot point is does Beale deserve a personal sanction beyond the team losing 7 points.

Now, I'd like to see other angles since the try replay angle doesn't clearly show where the initial contact from Beale's shoulder was on the NZ player. If it was head, then I guess we have to apply the decision matrix and then I would have to concur that we're looking at red.

I think though that the citing period has elapsed (almost midday on Tuesday C.E.T) so I can only conclude the citing commissioner saw nothing in it?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Anyone know when Barrett's hearing is? Beale should also be cited
    He got 3 weeks
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

NZ definite red card, led with the shoulder straight into an opponent's head, no attempt to tackle and very dangerous and a good spot by Garces. Beale not so sure, maybe a penalty if the try wasn't scored but for me it was mainly momentum.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate the opinions of those who have commented. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to cheap shots as an ex fly half but I just don't think Beale's actions were unavoidable. Too often we accept that because a team scored that's fine and reward enough and no need to look further whereas often cheap, cowardly shots happen in the act of scoring or in the moments leading up to a score. Maybe Beale was caught in two minds but as with everything we make a judgement and mine, but I accept not that of the citing commissioner, is that he deliberately took the guy out.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    I appreciate the opinions of those who have commented. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to cheap shots as an ex fly half but I just don't think Beale's actions were unavoidable. Too often we accept that because a team scored that's fine and reward enough and no need to look further whereas often cheap, cowardly shots happen in the act of scoring or in the moments leading up to a score. Maybe Beale was caught in two minds but as with everything we make a judgement and mine, but I accept not that of the citing commissioner, is that he deliberately took the guy out.
    As I said in my previous post, I can accept that it may have been a case of taking out the AB but in doing so he did not do anything that would warrant a citing. There was no dangerous foul play. At best there was some obstruction, which I would say falls outside the role of a citing officer. If the try had not been scored I could have seen a situation where the TMO may have come back for a penalty. But as I have suggested in another thread, didn’t the kicker do what he wanted? I.e. draw the defender into a tackle and not allow time to deviate away. We have a situation where the defender was practically still while the ball carrier was moving forward quickly. Who ran into who? All KB did was try to turn round and was run into by the AB. But I can accept that ‘expectation’ would be that KB be penalised rather than the fact that he deliberately did anything wrong.
    Last edited by Balones; 13-08-19 at 22:08.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

@Balones - but what about the arm tucked into the sling position. This is clearly a tackle without a wrap. If he'd had his arms our to charge the kick or wrapped his arms round like in a tackle, then fair enough. i'd be inclined to agree, nothing to see play on. But the arm in the sling position makes it a potential citing issue. What if there had been an injury or KB thinks it's fine and next time there's an injury? Farrell's got away with it on numerous occasions over the last 18 or so months.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    @Balones - but what about the arm tucked into the sling position.
    At the moment the ball is kicked, Beale's arm is still out wide. He only brings it in when he tries to turn.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So if the BC still had the ball in hands it would be ok too? No, I'm considering a YC every time. Dependent on the level of danger. This may not peak to a YC but others that look similar may.

Thread Information