--
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default When to make the mark

At a PK, after consulting the TMO you issue a YC
    Meanwhile a player is called off for an HIA

Q .. before making the mark for the PK should you wait until the YC and HIA players have actually left the pitch ? Or do you make the mark and allow the non offending team to take the PK quickly ?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When to make the mark

I would imagine that you would need to wait till the players have left the field. As depending on where the penalty is it could be material. And to be consistent, I'd apply that wherever the penalty was for parity.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    At a PK, after consulting the TMO you issue a YC
    Meanwhile a player is called off for an HIA

Q .. before making the mark for the PK should you wait until the YC and HIA players have actually left the pitch ? Or do you make the mark and allow the non offending team to take the PK quickly ?
    I take it you probably don't agree with the way it was handled then!!

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would've pulled it back as soon as the first kick was taken. As the player who was carded was heading in that vicinity and to me that's def material. So as said, for parity I'd wait for all penalties.

That being said, they were 2 fantastic cross field kicks.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Next time I have a TMO I'll let you know what I did
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Next time I have a TMO I'll let you know what I did

I'd suggest you don't need to have a TMO. You've stopped play and I assume taken time off for the YC. You've spoken to the captain and the player, you've then issued the card. Would you put time back on and allow the pen to be taken "quickly."

TBF - There doesn't seem to be anything in the LoTG to cover this point so I'm guessing there's no "right" answer. But having allowed the quick kick to be taken, what would you do if the kick wasn't great and it lands on the carded player? Or if they took a tap penalty and on passing down the line they run into him or pass it in his path and it rebounds off his back?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I'd suggest you don't need to have a TMO. You've stopped play and I assume taken time off for the YC. You've spoken to the captain and the player, you've then issued the card. Would you put time back on and allow the pen to be taken "quickly."

TBF - There doesn't seem to be anything in the LoTG to cover this point so I'm guessing there's no "right" answer. But having allowed the quick kick to be taken, what would you do if the kick wasn't great and it lands on the carded player? Or if they took a tap penalty and on passing down the line they run into him or pass it in his path and it rebounds off his back?
    I think this happens all the time
    - it would be foolish to restart the game with the YC player right in front of you still
    - it would be very tedious to have to wait indefinitely until he has strolled completely off the pitch
    you use your judgement and make the mark when it's appropriate to start play

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post

Firstly I'd say there is no Quickly taken kick. Time has been called off and back on again. During that time there is plenty of time to marshal you defence. Only the Player being carded and the Captain nee to be involved. If other are putting their twopenneth in TOUGH!

The Law book only refers to the giving of the mark at a subsequent penalty (Law ref 20.15). So does the mark need to be made?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That said, if I've called time off. I am going to manage the game and not call time on until players leaving the field of play have done so. Or at least they are within a step or two and well away from the "action".

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What I do in Yellow Card situations is (this has just developed over the 1st year of reffing):

. Blow whistle, Switch clock off, tell every one the clock is off. At this point I make a mark (so that I don't forget where the pen is)

. I then walk into centre of the field and ask the player and captain to come to me. Issue Card. Make notes in book.

. Walk back to the mark (at which point there is normally a player with ball in hand). I say to player please wait for the whistle.

.Wait til players have cleared the field (or at least are totally out of the way, pen might be in 22 attacking tryline, player leaving could be in 5 meter line at Half Way).

. Re-signal what pen was for, switch on clock , blow whistle, game re-starts.

Thread Information