Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default NO advantage call

At one point in England Ireland I am sure I heard NO telling aireland who had just knocked on, to cease competing for the ball so that england could get the advantage

Anyone else notice that ? Did I misunderstand ? Because that's not the law ...

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NO advantage call

From the title I thought it was a call of «*No advantage!*» by the ref. What time did it occur?
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    At one point in England Ireland I am sure I heard NO telling aireland who had just knocked on, to cease competing for the ball so that england could get the advantage

Anyone else notice that ? Did I misunderstand ? Because that's not the law ...
    Rightly or wrongly I have on occasion told a team to stop competing at a breakdown because , for example, they had a player lying on the wrong side etc and to give them a chance to let the opposition gain the advantage and prevent me having to penalise.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Rightly or wrongly I have on occasion told a team to stop competing at a breakdown because , for example, they had a player lying on the wrong side etc and to give them a chance to let the opposition gain the advantage and prevent me having to penalise.
    You could also call Advantage.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    You could also call Advantage.
    Yes and I would...
    But my point is that I have often actually said to players "leave it now...don't contest. Your guy is off his feet on the wrong side creating opportunities for you!".....or something similar. I still have the option to come back to the penalty but I find at certain levels of game it works well.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    From the title I thought it was a call of «*No advantage!*» by the ref. What time did it occur?
    Yeah, I failed to note the time :-(
    Oh well

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Yes and I would...
    But my point is that I have often actually said to players "leave it now...don't contest. Your guy is off his feet on the wrong side creating opportunities for you!".....or something similar. I still have the option to come back to the penalty but I find at certain levels of game it works well.
    This worries me slightly, and is tantamount to Chopper-of-blessed-memory's idea that teams should be allowed to get their advantage.

I'm OK telling teams to not do things to stop them infringing. Telling them to stop doing something legal so another team can play their advantage is a step too far for me.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    RugbyWA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I also noticed and felt that it was too much management from Owens, England then benefited from making a good exit without any pressure.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is this not quite common at the Elite game though, often hearing refs shouting ‘leave it now’ at a Ruck for example, I see it as them wanting the ball played away as in their opinion the ball is won - but there is no basis in law for this that I’m aware of, and if a team keeps trying to contest and win the ruck (which they are entitled to do) what will the ref do?

I suspect in reality it’s not really a black and white ‘order’ which can be disobeyed, more a request to ‘move the game on’

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    This worries me slightly, and is tantamount to Chopper-of-blessed-memory's idea that teams should be allowed to get their advantage.

I'm OK telling teams to not do things to stop them infringing. Telling them to stop doing something legal so another team can play their advantage is a step too far for me.
    I think the scenario Decorily is picturing is this. Blue tackles Red and is rolling away at a reasonable rate. Blue jackler is very quick and legally gets hands on ball but has been assisted by his tackling team mate blocking the Red ball carrier from presenting the ball. Neither Blue player has acted illegally but in concert have prevented Red from exercising her/his options.

I would do the same as Decorily and instruct the jackler to leave the ball.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information