Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: "Knock-on"

      
  1. #21

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,594
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    904

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Arabcheif, can you comment on this possibility.
    My 2p. Surely you can only ever lose possession of the ball if you had it in the first place eg held it. Chesting it or heading it forwards when it is in the air last played by somebody else wouldn't be knocking it on, nor would kneeing the ball in a chase or progressing it via a shin or thigh.

    So no touch of the hand/arm can't be losing possession surely? because the player never had possession, but merely progressed the ball via another part of the body

    ??????????????

    didds

  2. #22
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    767
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    150

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    My 2p. Surely you can only ever lose possession of the ball if you had it in the first place eg held it.

    ??????????????

    didds
    Player does not necessarily have to ' hold' the ball to be in possession of it.

    A player 'juggling ' a ball trying to get control of it is deemed to be in possession and is , for instance, tackleable.
    A player similarly 'juggling ' who looses it forward is deemed to have knocked on (even if they get a boot to it before it hits the ground etc).
    In fact any player attempting to bring the ball under control is in possession.

    In OP the player was surely attempting to bring the ball under control when they lost it and it went forward!

    Similarly If a player was under a high ball and was attempting to catch it and it didn't touch their hands but went forward off their chest/belly/knees would we not expect it to be deemed a knock on?

  3. #23

    Referees in America
    thepercy's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    21 Sep 13
    Posts
    733
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    @Rich_NL, I hear you mate. And for 90% of the time, i just leave it, I may have a frustrated shake of the head and if somethings unbelievable sometimes I'll frustratingly ask "Really" or say "Oh c'mon." While look up to the sky. I've never had and argument. And when the ref on Saturday disagreed, I simply said I'll speak to you on Monday. Didn't engage in a discussion after that. I did laugh once because there was a very amusing call the he awarded a Pk for hands in the ruck when a) there was no ruck b) the support player of the tackled player picked it up, promptly fell over his team mate, placed the ball back to his 9. He awarded them a PK for us having hands in the ruck even though none of our players were near the twol (tackler had rolled away by then and was on his way back to his feet about 1.5m away).
    It was just another one of a long line of rubbish calls. One of which was a YC for a high tackle that he didn't card the player for (that was a player in my team that should've been carded).

    I get that refs are human and mistakes happen, no doubt I'll make a whole bunch of them. But again, we're all only human and there's only so much we can take. I've been frustrated with one other ref performance in my time. yeah there's been the odd decision that's been how can he/she call that but not to the point that I've been with this fella from Saturday (and the other one was last season). Like I said refs are human and can make mistakes and I understand this but when the mistakes are more common than the correct calls that's when I start getting frustrated.
    Even your small reactions, body language, and snide remarks can be annoying to the referee even if it doesn't rise to the level of abuse, and if you are in a leadership position with your club your slight disrespect of the referee even when they are out of their depth, can rub off on your mates who don't know how when/how to show restraint.

    I think you'd be better off if the referee thought you were a good guy and might give you the benefit of the doubt when you need it, rather than thinking your a bit of a dick and being harsh when you transgress.

  4. #24

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,373
    Thanks (Received)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    735

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    My 2p. Surely you can only ever lose possession of the ball if you had it in the first place eg held it. Chesting it or heading it forwards when it is in the air last played by somebody else wouldn't be knocking it on, nor would kneeing the ball in a chase or progressing it via a shin or thigh.

    So no touch of the hand/arm can't be losing possession surely? because the player never had possession, but merely progressed the ball via another part of the body

    ??????????????

    didds
    I'd challenge this a bit. No9 throws a bullet. 10 never gathers it, but juggles and ultimately loses it forward. By your logic, because he never had control, he never lost control so no knock on.

    Really?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  5. #25

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,373
    Thanks (Received)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    735

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    @Rich_NL, I hear you mate. And for 90% of the time, i just leave it, I may have a frustrated shake of the head and if somethings unbelievable sometimes I'll frustratingly ask "Really" or say "Oh c'mon." While look up to the sky. I've never had and argument. And when the ref on Saturday disagreed, I simply said I'll speak to you on Monday. Didn't engage in a discussion after that. I did laugh once because there was a very amusing call the he awarded a Pk for hands in the ruck when a) there was no ruck b) the support player of the tackled player picked it up, promptly fell over his team mate, placed the ball back to his 9. He awarded them a PK for us having hands in the ruck even though none of our players were near the twol (tackler had rolled away by then and was on his way back to his feet about 1.5m away).
    It was just another one of a long line of rubbish calls. One of which was a YC for a high tackle that he didn't card the player for (that was a player in my team that should've been carded).

    I get that refs are human and mistakes happen, no doubt I'll make a whole bunch of them. But again, we're all only human and there's only so much we can take. I've been frustrated with one other ref performance in my time. yeah there's been the odd decision that's been how can he/she call that but not to the point that I've been with this fella from Saturday (and the other one was last season). Like I said refs are human and can make mistakes and I understand this but when the mistakes are more common than the correct calls that's when I start getting frustrated.
    I don't think you understand human dynamics very well. Your snide little asides, which you think think are de minimis, are the sort of shit that turns referees against your team. As much as we try to be impartial, these things erode the relationship and get you - and possibly your team - in the target sights.

    A decent referee will tell your skipper to shut you the hell up before it starts to impact decision making. A less confident referee will just have his judgmemt swayed - and that means your share of 50/50 calls just went down.
    "I'll speak to you on Monday" - why not just say that you think he's a twat and get the code out the way. I know what you're saying, he knows what you're saying, and so do you. There's no point in saying it.

    Why do you feel that you have the right to editorialize? I wonder what the referee's ongoing commentary of how you play is? "Mouthy sod, and can't take the pressure from the oppo TH" "Christ he's unfit and buggering up the team's pattern"

    We DON'T say that to the players, and with good reason. I think we can expect the same back from players.

    I'm going to be frank here: most referees - most, not all - are humble, and want to know what they can do better. They're open to discussion and explaining what they saw. Generally what we're not good with with is snide, smart ass know it alls who may not have had the same angle.

    Ask yourself what side of the equation you're on. Because on the basis of your posts, I can think of 14 of your team mates I'd buy a pint for before you.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  6. #26

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,594
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    904

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Player does not necessarily have to ' hold' the ball to be in possession of it.

    A player 'juggling ' a ball trying to get control of it is deemed to be in possession and is , for instance, tackleable.
    yes - fair enough there - the Tim Stimpson ruling :-)

    Ok - how about actually holding the ball or trying to bring it under control. Kneeing/.shinning/heading the ball presumably though wouldn't count as that? Chesting and stomaching ditto?

    In OP the player was surely attempting to bring the ball under control when they lost it and it went forward!
    Hmm. we are into angels on pins here really. Frankly if the ball manifestly doesn't touch an arm or hand I'm very loath to call subsequent forward movement a knock on. I do accept though that the definition "When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, " is somewhat ambiguous - because the definition of what constitutes possession includes "An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to bring it under control" would indeed seem to include an attempt to catch the ball but totally fails. I get the arguments - I'm just not convinced that that is what the law writers intended, while trying to incorporate the Tim Stimpson scenario.


    Similarly If a player was under a high ball and was attempting to catch it and it didn't touch their hands but went forward off their chest/belly/knees would we not expect it to be deemed a knock on?
    For me no - but as above I can see why some would award it. I'm not convinced that is what the intention of the law is.


    So -purely as a moot point... FB is under a high kick and shaping to catch it. It is clear (s)he intends to catch it. But they misjudge it and the ball hits their head, and goes forward. They were attempting to bring the ball under control - and it has gone forward. Knock-on? If not - we are thus saying the head is different to the belly/thigh etc ? (except in anaotomical descriptions obviously!)

    didds

    didds
    Last edited by didds; 03-09-19 at 09:09.

  7. #27

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,445
    Thanks (Received)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    1689

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    It's hard to picture a 10 fumbling a pass from his 9 and "manifestly not touching it"

  8. #28
    Player or Coach

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    02 Nov 18
    Posts
    406
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Human Dynamics - Bearing in mind this is deep into the 2nd half. Waaaaaay after the ref has made (in my opinion), error after error after error, been inconsistent irritated the captain already. Hasn’t communicated his decisions (other than with his hand signals), so we don’t know who’s “infringed” for most of the time. I think it human dynamics to get frustrated at this point and natural to show it. Not licence to be abusive or intimidating, but certainly natural to display some form of displeasure.
    A decent referee – A decent referee also communicates clearly, who he’s penalised. Also he makes good sound decisions most of the time. He made a correct call that I remember our 10 went to contest the ball after a tackle but lost his feet and went over. Pinged correctly, no problem with that. That seemed to be in the minority though. I’ll speak to you on Monday meant – I don’t want to argue with you here, let’s chat on Monday about it – when we’ve both calmed down. At that point I didn’t think he was a tw*t. I still don’t, just not a good ref.
    How is my fitness level/skill level/ability to fit into the teams pattern, impacting his game. Me being slow has zero impact on his own decision making. Your point here in the context of the thread is invalid and has nothing to do with the refs performance or enjoyment of the game. The opposite a poor ref (or at least a poor display), can impact the players enjoyment of the game can be true though. A referee is there to facilitate a game of rugby, not be the main man in the middle that is the main talking point, which he was.
    I appreciate the most res are humble and want to improve, I fall into this category. Most of the time the refs have told the capt, I saw you 7 offside or 10 was competing after the ruck formed or something like that. That fine but when asked who was infringing the ref on Sat was either unable to unwilling to disclose this top secret information. I try not to be snide, I really do. But you get to a point, I’m only human after all.
    I’m on the side of rugby. I don’t mind (don’t like it but I get accept it), if we get beat by a better team or team who just wanted it more. I’m not gonna lose any sleep over that sleep over that SimonSmith, but if you come over to Arbroath, I’ll still buy you a pint.

  9. #29
    Player or Coach

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    02 Nov 18
    Posts
    406
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Arabcheif, can you comment on this possibility.
    Ummm - I'm not a mind reader, so obviously not. I think we're just beginning to get a bit ridiculous now. The very brief exchange we had, I believed that the ref was aware that the ball didn't go forward off the hands.

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I'd challenge this a bit. No9 throws a bullet. 10 never gathers it, but juggles and ultimately loses it forward. By your logic, because he never had control, he never lost control so no knock on.

    Really?
    No because it'll have been juggled by his hands or arm. So the definition clearly has a provision for this very situation. So yes knock on.

  10. #30

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,846
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    1253
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: "Knock-on"

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    So -purely as a moot point... FB is under a high kick and shaping to catch it. It is clear (s)he intends to catch it. But they misjudge it and the ball hits their head, and goes forward. They were attempting to bring the ball under control - and it has gone forward. Knock-on? If not - we are thus saying the head is different to the belly/thigh etc ? (except in anaotomical descriptions obviously!)
    If the ball hits them on the head, its obvious to everyone that it did so. So its not a knock on.

    If the ball hits them on the chest while their arms are spread wide away from their body, then its obvious its not a knock on.

    If their arms are in a catching position and the ball goes straight through their arms, then its almost impossible to say it did, or didn't touch the hands or arms. I am going to give the knock on, because that's what everyone is expecting and it was essentially a dropped catch.

    You can argue about the angle the ball fell at, or whether it actually touched their skin or not for as long as you like, but everyone is expecting a knock on call and that's what we go for...the clear and obvious.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •