Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's this season going re new law interprretations down in the weeds?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default How's this season going re new law interprretations down in the weeds?

I operate around Level 7 and 8.
    Unfortunately my one pre season match was called of so first fixture will be Saturday.
    Anyone noticed any difference at all?
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How's this season going re new law interprretations down in the weeds?

Tbh there has been a little more 'complaining' from the players pointing out what they believe is a 'high tackle' but a quick explanation soon puts them in order.

I have done 4 matches ranging from vets to L5 and (no surprise) the worst for this was the Vets. I had to point out the Captain of one of the sides that persistent appealing could/would earn a YC as set out in WR Clarification/Guidelines for the start of the 2018/19 season
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How's this season going re new law interprretations down in the weeds?

Two games so far at Level 8 and 9. No real changes.

I ask them if they are aware of the new high tackle protocol..they or their coaches are.
    I am being a little stricter on over the shoulder tackles than I was last season but no one is complaining.

Axial loading? Not really an issue, I have always told them to maintain their own balance and not pre-engage.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed. Just been told that it wasn't by another ref. Can anyone clarify?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed.?
    did you mean "think that it should NOT be allowed" ? Just checking.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    did you mean "think that it should NOT be allowed" ? Just checking.

didds
    Sorry. I meant to say I DON'T have an issue with it and think it SHOULD be allowed.

I was just checking that there was nothing prohibiting this. As it could possibly destabilise like in Axial loading. Without the neck/spine issues.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There should be no contact on crouch.
    The prop (and therefore the players behind him) need to be balanced and supporting their own weight, so there is no need to touch the opponent. If they are doing that it indicates instability

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed. Just been told that it wasn't by another ref. Can anyone clarify?
    The laws say "no player's head is touching the neck or shoulder of the opponent", so it's not been outlawed due to axial loading. At the lowest leagues, it's probably a helpful balance for the elderly and less gymnastically-inclined props. If it's in any way destabilising things, I'd stop it on those grounds.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Disappointing start for me poor game, lots of dissent from players and many clearly were not aware of new high tackle interpretations resulting in a card count of 3 yellows and a red to 4 yellows.
    I handled the red badly.
    Awarded a try to lots of heated wrong appeals about "double movement" I am in RL land!
    One of the home players decides to shout out "He's a ****ing ******"
    Deciding it was aimed at me I blew my whistle, said I'm not accepting that language and I issued what I thought was that players second yellow followed by a red.
    Turns out it was his brother that had been yellow carded but I then stuck with the red.
    Have reported it as such and I'll leave it to the suits.
    Bad day at the office, I'll suck it up and move on.
    I'll have to get a bigger notebook if this continues!
    Ciaran Trainor

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Had 1 U16 game so far. Had 1 High tackle. No card needed. No flash points.

Thread Information