Thread: Failed Intercept in Fifteens

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Failed Intercept in Fifteens

In my first fifteens match of the season, both captains were under the impression that any failed intercept was an automatic YC.

I have not seen anything to indicate that the sevens interpretation that was drilled into my head last summer was carrying over, and want to make sure that I haven't missed anything since I have three tough college games over the next three weekends.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Failed Intercept in Fifteens

well, for me it might not even be a PK.

If the intercept was with both hands, with every chance of catchng it, but fumbled, it would be just a KO.

On the other hand for a one handed attempt that is indistinguishable from slap I'd likely be getting my YC out.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You simply cannot put a blanket rule on things like this.

There are so many variables that you need to consider before making a decision.
    Did the player have a reasonable chance of intercepting the ball?
    Did he come from an onside position?
    Where are you on the pitch?
    What other players are in the vicinity?
    What does the interception prevent?
    Etc.
    Etc.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    well, for me it might not even be a PK.

If the intercept was with both hands, with every chance of catchng it, but fumbled, it would be just a KO.

On the other hand for a one handed attempt that is indistinguishable from slap I'd likely be getting my YC out.
    I agree with this, but during sevens season (June-July in my neck of the woods), it was made very clear that intent was irrelevant, any failed intercept was a YC. As a player, I would have probably skipped playing competitive sevens under this interpretation.

I just want to make sure that as a referee in fifteens I still have some leeway.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    I agree with this, but during sevens season (June-July in my neck of the woods), it was made very clear that intent was irrelevant, any failed intercept was a YC. As a player, I would have probably skipped playing competitive sevens under this interpretation.

I just want to make sure that as a referee in fifteens I still have some leeway.
    This is total crap. Let's start with the Laws:

11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm.Sanction : Penalty.

Duh! The Law says "intentionally" so how can "intent" be irrelevant?

And, it's not even "Foul Play" where the YC is prescribed.for such sins.

I'm a huge fan of 7s and the prescriptive application this law without regard to intent infuriates me. A fair play for an intercept with intent to catch that fails should not send off a player.
    Not only that but 1/7th (14%) of the team for 2 minutes (14% of the playing time) greatly exceeds the penalty in 15s (6% of the team for 8% of the time) for the same offense.

Give a PK? Wrong in most cases (yes, sometimes it is intentional) but sending off a player for this offence is preposterous. Yes, it happens on the HSBC circuit and that's wrong too.

Someday let me tell you how I really feel . . . .

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    I'd be talking to whoever made it very clear for 7s and ask them to make it clear for 15s. What us lot think is probably not relevant.

For the record, a mandatory YC for an inadvertent intercept ko is ludicrous. Phil E sums it up well.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    We have a guideline down here which leads to the YC outcome and it's about stopping a linebreak chance. If it's a cynical slap then sure YC away, but if it's a one handed attempt that the player isn't in a realistic position to regather but there is cover outside I don't think a YC is needed.

Knock-on and intentional knock-on
    • If a player, in tackling an opponent, makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward from the ball
    carrier’s hands, that is a knock-on. If a player rips the ball or deliberately knocks the ball from an
    opponent’s hands and the ball goes forward from the ball carrier’s hands, that is not a knock-on.

The decision-making process for an intentional knock-on is:
    o Was there a reasonable expectation the player could regather the ball? If no = PK.
    o Was there an opportunity for a clear line break? If yes = YC.
    o Was there an opportunity for a probable try to be scored? If yes = Penalty Try + YC.

Thread Information