Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Choke 'Tackle'

The ball carrier (BC) is held by one or more opponents, who endeavour to keep the BC on her feet. No member of the BC's team joins in, so there is no maul. After some seconds (not immediately - how long? does it matter?) the wriggling BC manages to get a knee down onto the ground.

How do RRF members referee this? Has there been discussion/direction in your Society?

In discussion with a referee whom I respect, his view is that this is not a Tackle as defined ("a method of holding a ball-carrier and bringing that player to the ground") nor a Tackled Player ("a ball-carrier who is held and taken to ground by a tackler or tacklers"). (Don't be distracted by whether there can be a Tackle without a Tackler ("a player who holds the tackled player and goes to ground") i.e. both have to go to ground!)

I suggest that goes against current convention, that many/most of us would call 'Tackle' or 'Release' as a management tool and expect play to transition into Law 14 (Tackle). But if BC and opponents remained on their feet, i.e. it remains a non-tackle/non-maul, what management calls would you use? And after how long?

Is 14.1 actually refereed as if it states "For a tackle to occur, the ball-carrier is held and concurrently gets or is brought to ground by one or more opponents"?

Thanks.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Choke 'Tackle'

the convention AIUI is to call tackle in effect as chbg says to get the game moving again... as otherwise we get this stalemate scenario . ultimately its most likely that eventually the defenders will just add weight (=more bodies) to the melee until the BC gets shoved/pulled to ground under sheer weight of numbers ... and in the interests of safety alone its probably sensible to call tackle and move on.

I agree however tat on the face of it its not really something 100% covered by laws.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If the ball carrier gets a knee to the ground it's a tackle. Shout "Tackle, Release".
    If he doesn't get a knee to the ground.....play on.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

14.2 specifically states that ...

Being brought to ground means that the ball-carrier is lying, sitting or has at least one knee on the ground or on another player who is on the ground.

Not too sure how one can ref this any other way other than a tackle. Like in a maul scenario if a player got his knee down on his own, this still counts and we'd all peep the whistle if it (the ball) wasn't presented immediately.

So OP - Tackle, release lets go.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Technically I don't believe a ball carrier voluntarily going to ground constitutes a tackle....however I do referee it as a tackle ie release now and get on with it.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Knee goes down, it's a tackle. Players need to have this drilled into their heads, since usually one of two things happens:

1) knee goes down - tackler(s) don't release - PK to attacking team for not releasing
    2) knee goes down - tackler(s) release - BC gets up and runs - PK to defending side for holding on

In terms of management, these sequences happen so quickly that preventing them on the spot is extremely difficult, and the best you can do is make it a teachable moment.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    Knee goes down, it's a tackle. Players need to have this drilled into their heads, since usually one of two things happens:

1) knee goes down - tackler(s) don't release - PK to attacking team for not releasing
    2) knee goes down - tackler(s) release - BC gets up and runs - PK to defending side for holding on

In terms of management, these sequences happen so quickly that preventing them on the spot is extremely difficult, and the best you can do is make it a teachable moment.
    Not really difficult to manage at all in my experience.

Calling 'release now' usually gets the required reaction, if not call a second time and add 'he's down ' or whatever is needed and give the second or two that it takes.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Not really difficult to manage at all in my experience.

Calling 'release now' usually gets the required reaction, if not call a second time and add 'he's down ' or whatever is needed and give the second or two that it takes.
    Shout "Tackle, release"

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You have to make clear it's a tackle, because the 4 tackled player also have duties (to release ball etc) . He can't just run off once released

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Have a question as a player related to this. say I was the tackler (or assist). I've hands on ball, BC gets knee on the ground and immediately releases. Thus leaving me holding the ball on my feet. If I'm quick thinking enough and place the ball down and pick it up. Am I still infringing? Or is the act of placing the ball down enough to stop any potential infringement (dependant on length of time I hold onto the ball).

Thread Information