Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside or not

In my case I don't think I would have tried to sell 'accidental offside" as G7 actions were not accidental .. it was either play on or clearly a PK.

(Plenty of opponents spotted that he was offside and expected a pk. Of course they may have been wrong !)
    Last edited by crossref; 16-09-19 at 10:09.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    If yo utry to "sell" it like this you are going to have to have a good story. It is either Offside or play on. Once you blow it is either PK or scrum against the play you felt was offside.

The only way to sell the bold is to say: "Guys I cocked up! I should not have blown so we restart..etc....". You don't come out of that well.
    That's why I try to call things clearly before I blow the whistle I generally say "leave it green" or "get onside" as loudly and promptly as I can, because it's something easy for the players to miss and easy for the ref to manage. If I've said that, then I'm obviously blowing for offside if they ignore me.

Given that it happened too fast, I wouldn't have time on the pitch to check whether the law says "played" or "touched" as we all do here, so assuming I've blown the whistle for offside I'd give PK offside.

If I blew and realised I'd made a mistake, I'd apologise for making a mistake and restart with a scrum to green. I don't think referees should pretend to be infallible, it harms your credibility more to pretend you haven't made a mistake and to sell an incorrect decision than it does to own up. As long as it's not the fifth time in the match, of course...

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Rich_NL on that point, it is better to hold your hand up and say Sorry I was wrong to have blown. Let’s restart with a scrum. Pretending to be right, will only make you lose credibility.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    I agree with Rich_NL on that point, it is better to hold your hand up and say Sorry I was wrong to have blown. Let’s restart with a scrum. Pretending to be right, will only make you lose credibility.
    Yes, but is the right answer, in fact. Is he offside or not ?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Yes, but is the right answer, in fact. Is he offside or not ?
    No, I don't believe he was, as described there was no deliberate or intended act to play the ball
    , I mean there's no offside for charging down and that's a deliberate act with a possible outcome (ball going forward), so for me this is even less offside. Play on

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Someone tell me what I have wrong here as a couple of posters have said that there is no offside from a charge down.

Blue 6 charges White 10's kick.

Scenario 1: the charge down is ineffective. Ball is played by Blue, but continue to go forward. My understanding is that White players who were in front of the kick are now on side.

Scenario 2: the charge down is effective and the ball goes forward from Blue towards White's goal line. It is then picked up by Blue 8 who was in front of Blue 6 when he played the ball. Blue 8 is offside, no?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

didnt we do this a couple of weeks back?

that's not a dig - admins may be able to merge the two calls or summat

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Someone tell me what I have wrong here as a couple of posters have said that there is no offside from a charge down.

Blue 6 charges White 10's kick.

Scenario 1: the charge down is ineffective. Ball is played by Blue, but continue to go forward. My understanding is that White players who were in front of the kick are now on side.

Scenario 2: the charge down is effective and the ball goes forward from Blue towards White's goal line. It is then picked up by Blue 8 who was in front of Blue 6 when he played the ball. Blue 8 is offside, no?
    I agree with both scenarios.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    didnt we do this a couple of weeks back?

that's not a dig - admins may be able to merge the two calls or summat

didds
    Must have missed that one, can someone find / link to it as if a charge down counts as playing the ball then I might have to rethink that thought process, however doesn’t change this example for me, wasn’t played so no offside, play on

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Must have missed that one, can someone find / link to it as if a charge down counts as playing the ball then I might have to rethink that thought process, however doesn’t change this example for me, wasn’t played so no offside, play on
    Given how the law book defines a charge down, IME the player doing the charge down is intentionally playing the ball. If red kicks and green charges down, green has played the ball, ergo all red players are onside.

Thread Information