Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welsh Rugby Pathway under 11s.

Recently reffed a game for under 11s, players at this age group are not allowed to rip or grab the ball in the tackle.

Player scores a try but in the act of going over players grab the ball and prevent the grounding. I awarded the try. Coaches of defending team extremely unhappy.

Can anyone clarify this, i realise that these laws may vary in different Unions. Obviously it would relate to the rules in Wales. For the point of clarity lets assume he was over the plane of the tryline before the ball was grabbed.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Welsh Rugby Pathway under 11s.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    Recently reffed a game for under 11s, players at this age group are not allowed to rip or grab the ball in the tackle.

Player scores a try but in the act of going over players grab the ball and prevent the grounding. I awarded the try. Coaches of defending team extremely unhappy.

Can anyone clarify this, i realise that these laws may vary in different Unions. Obviously it would relate to the rules in Wales. For the point of clarity lets assume he was over the plane of the tryline before the ball was grabbed.
    I know absolutely nothing about U11s rugby...
    However it seems to me that you may have been in penalty try territory.

EDIT May be better to ask in the Mini Rugby Forum

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is the most recent pathway I have:

U11 Pathway WRU

• Waist high tackle or lower (the waist is the line of the shorts) there can be more than one tackler
    • 1st player to the breakdown can pick and go before the ruck has formed
    • After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player involved in the tackle or another arriving player

The tackler Can't play the ball (tackle must be below the waist).

One player only can contest the ball (from each team). AFTER the tackle is completed.

So noting your comment "...players grab the ball..." we have more than one person grabbing the ball. = illegal.

You say "preventing the grounding" so I assume you awarded a Penalty Try - since the grounding, and therfore, the try was prevented.

All in all:

1:If the tackle was not completed when the ball was grabbed then it is a penalty.
    2: If the tackle was completed but more than one defending player grabbed the ball, then it is a penalty.
    Option for PT of course in both cases.

3: If the tackle was completed and only one player grabbed the ball to prevent grounding that is fine.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Given the above it sounds like a penalty try. But why would the coaches be extremely unhappy? It's U11 rugby not the RWC. Play to the whistle, move on and try to enjoy the game. Moany coaches will only lead to moany players.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    This is the most recent pathway I have:

U11 Pathway WRU

• Waist high tackle or lower (the waist is the line of the shorts) there can be more than one tackler
    • 1st player to the breakdown can pick and go before the ruck has formed
    • After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player involved in the tackle or another arriving player

The tackler Can't play the ball (tackle must be below the waist).

One player only can contest the ball (from each team). AFTER the tackle is completed.

So noting your comment "...players grab the ball..." we have more than one person grabbing the ball. = illegal.

You say "preventing the grounding" so I assume you awarded a Penalty Try - since the grounding, and therfore, the try was prevented.

All in all:

1:If the tackle was not completed when the ball was grabbed then it is a penalty.
    2: If the tackle was completed but more than one defending player grabbed the ball, then it is a penalty.
    Option for PT of course in both cases.

3: If the tackle was completed and only one player grabbed the ball to prevent grounding that is fine.

Thanks for your reply that very clear. Id have to see the reply to know if i was right, but ill know next time.

If possible i would like clarity on two other situations with the same age group.

A) Red player is tackled, a red player protects the ball in a classic pose, blue player engages and forms a ruck and drives the red player back away from the ball, they fall over away from the ball. The ruck is over. Blue player picks up ball and runs with it. I gave a penalty because there had been a ruck and you cant pick and go from a ruck, but the ruck was over????

B) Red player is tackled, Blue player jackals immediately Red support player engages in an attempt to drive off, Blue player steels and runs with the ball. IMO no ruck was ever formed so all turnovers of this nature do not require the Jackaler or scrum half to pass. Many teams seem to think that this is not the case, even when the scenario is explained??????

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me:

(A)
    WRU Pathway U11

After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player
    involved in the tackle or another arriving player
    Acting scrum half must pass the ball after a ruck has been formed

Ruck had formed and the ball must be passed away from a ruck. The Ruck is over whenever the "9" has the ball. It does not matter how it became over the ball must be passed away.

(B)
    WRU Pathway U11
    1st player to the breakdown can pick and go before the ruck has formed

If you felt there had been no ruck (you saw it, I did not. So I will go with your call), the action is legal.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me:

(A)
    WRU Pathway U11

After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player
    involved in the tackle or another arriving player
    Acting scrum half must pass the ball after a ruck has been formed

Ruck had formed and the ball must be passed away from a ruck. The Ruck is over whenever the "9" has the ball. It does not matter how it became over the ball must be passed away.

(B)
    WRU Pathway U11
    1st player to the breakdown can pick and go before the ruck has formed

If you felt there had been no ruck (you saw it, I did not. So I will go with your call), the action is legal.

Yes clarity again, the first actually happened the second is a recurring debate. My way of looking at it two players competing for the ball may look like a ruck, but its not a ruck if the first players has his hands on the ball before the other engages.

Thanks

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Do the Laws that a Tackle and Ruck can only take place in the Field of Play (and therefore not in In-goal) not apply?

But I bet that this was not the coach's point.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It does not. Where a variation is not stated then LOTG apply. I am reading the OP that this is happening in the FOP and wer are in a "legal" tackle situation - In the referee's opinion.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It does not. Where a variation is not stated then LOTG apply. I am reading the OP that this is happening in the FOP and wer are in a "legal" tackle situation - In the referee's opinion.
    OP: "For the point of clarity lets assume he was over the plane of the tryline before the ball was grabbed."
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Thread Information