Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Unsporting Conduct Question.

Thanks very much for the add.

I'm after clarification on an incident that happened at a game I attended last Saturday.I posted this question on a rugby forum and received one reply from South Africa saying that both the referee and refereeing assessor were wrong in the account I gave below.

I was at a grass roots game last Saturday.It was an East Central Division 3B (sixth tier of the Welsh club game,a derby featuring Treherbert and Wattstown,both clubs being from the Rhondda Valleys.

The match finished 8 points all.Despite the low scoreline it was actually a good game,a physical battle but played in a very good spirit.There were about 150 spectators there which is quite impressive for the level.

Quite early in the game the away team,Wattstown,were awarded a kickable penalty.Just as the kicker approached the ball a few idiots in the stand shouted out and the kicker hooked the effort horribly.To everybody's amazement the referee ordered the kick to retaken because of the unsporting behaviour of the supporters.There was a referee's assessor present monitoring the official's performance and the Treherbert coach wasted no time in approaching him.Within my earshot he (politely) asked the assessor if the ref had made the right call.The assessor told him the ref was quite within his rights

It certainly worked !!! Every kick after the incident took place in total silence.Has anyone else ever seen this rule enforced ?

The referee had an excellent game by the way.

Many thanks in advance,Tom

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Unsporting Conduct Question.

The only relevant law concerns the opposing team, not the spectators. I think the referee was wrong, but technically within his rights as sole judge of fact and law etc

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The referee was wrong.. but so was the coach

The referee's authority is confined to the pitch and the players. He can't sanction the spectators

On the other hand the coach has no authority over the events on the pitch .. but he has enormous moral authority over his spectators.

Rather than bugging the ref , he should have been chastising his unruly spectators

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The referee was wrong.
    A referee coach is unlikely to hang the referee out to dry
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So....in the OP the neither the Poster nor the Assessor had any idea what the referee was thinking or said (unless they were all miked - which I doubt ).

Therefore it's all irrelevant what each of them thought or said!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well the Assessor would ask the referee why he ordered the retake. So, after the game, he would have the referee's answer to go on!

It may well be that he referee made it clear a to why. So I'll judge this on the OP "facts" only.

That said I was party to a discussion on this incident a couple of days ago. The game was played in my societies area.

On the facts the referee was simply wrong!

"...but technically within his rights as sole judge of fact and law etc" really cannot be abused! You can't make it up like that!

Treherebert is a "testing" place for a referee. The crowd is often "hostile".

Now to the story from the referee:

It was as the OP reported. THe ref "penalised" the crowd. He justified it to me, and others, but agreed fter discussion that he was actually wrong. Assessor heard the referee's explanation. So was able to speak with authority. However, I don't think he should "contrdict" the referee to people in the crowd etc. He does have "form" for being a maverick.

If we all started allowing a retake in such situatuons can you imagine the delays? French games would be full of them.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    "...but technically within his rights as sole judge of fact and law etc" really cannot be abused! You can't make it up like that!
    For clarity, I agree that the ref made the wrong call. I just think it's a good line for an assessor who doesn't want to pull the rug from under the ref's feet - technically correct, and no more!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

agree with the above generally. Ref was wrong, the assessor is not going to hang him out to dry.

You cant start penalising the crowd - because how do you know it was the part of the crowd you "exp[ect it to be" ? Howsoever the scenario, what's to stop a home supporter pretending to be an away supporter to con the ref (maybe not so much in this example etc etc etc )

The ref will learn which is the important thing.

Though its another example of how having been involved in the game for decades (IME most refs are ex players) still dont get the "feel" of rugby and how/why tyhing happen. Unless of course for decades this guy played with refs that penalised the crowd/coach/the seagulls overhead etc

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    A referee coach is unlikely to hang the referee out to dry
    Fair enough but I don't think I'd be telling the coach that "the ref was quite within his rights". Probably more like "that was an incident that we will be discussing later".
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, the ref was technically wrong, but kudos to the assessor for not hanging him out. Depends on the level of the game, but you always have the option of having a word with the captain and/or coach and explain that in your opinion that response from the crowd is not really in keeping with the spirit of the game, and ask if that's how the players want to be thought of and represented?

Of course that could equally be on a hiding to nothing, at end of the day refs have to learn to ignore distractions from the touch line and so do players :-(

Thread Information