Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Unsporting Conduct Question.

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I don't think a re-kick is on for this. I do think the referee has authority to make abusive spectators leave, but I don't think this is one of those cases. This isn't a law violation or abuse, just poor etiquette.

I find this etiquette odd though. Are there other parts of the game where we ask the crowd to be silent? What about scrums, don't the front rows need to concentrate? Is this a cultural thing? In the US during basketball free-throws it is encouraged to be loud and distracting to the shooter. In gridiron football, being loud during kicks is normal at all levels, and the crowd is encouraged to be loud on 3rd downs to distract the opponents. Besides golf, are there other sports, or situations within the sport where it is uncouth to be boisterous?
    Yes, because American "sportsmanship" is the standard to which we should all aspire.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I don't think a re-kick is on for this. I do think the referee has authority to make abusive spectators leave, but I don't think this is one of those cases. This isn't a law violation or abuse, just poor etiquette.

I find this etiquette odd though. Are there other parts of the game where we ask the crowd to be silent? What about scrums, don't the front rows need to concentrate? Is this a cultural thing? In the US during basketball free-throws it is encouraged to be loud and distracting to the shooter. In gridiron football, being loud during kicks is normal at all levels, and the crowd is encouraged to be loud on 3rd downs to distract the opponents. Besides golf, are there other sports, or situations within the sport where it is uncouth to be boisterous?
    Seems a very British and Irish thing. Here in Australia the crowd will try to put the kicker off

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Seems a very British and Irish thing. Here in Australia the crowd will try to put the kicker off
    Which is exactly the problem with playing the unsportsmanlike card ... Standards differ. People's MMV.

Keep clear of it , is my advice

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    France traditionally is full of noise for the kicker. Personally I don't like trying to put kickers off but it's nothing to do with the man in the middle!

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In Limerick the silence for the kicker can be very off putting. But I must say that here in eastern France I wouldn’t waste my breathe trying to control the sideline supporters. Firstly, as was already pointed out it is not my problem. Secondly they would most likely up the ante if they thought it bothered me. (In the mini/midi/maxi game the occasional parent can go too far. Then either at half time or after the game I would have a word with the coach of that particular club and ask them to sort it out. In an U19 game I would be asking for trouble to say anything.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would say that the referee will not be doing that again, as on the field of play everything he decides is right, so he cannot be 'wrong'.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for the replies,very imformative.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It is a cultural thing (ie the sporting spectator norm) not necessarily British/Irish.

I keep quiet at RU (as it's expected) but if I could whistle loudly through my fingers or otherwise I'd give it loads at RL. I tend to keep quite at RL as shouting Boooooo! sounds like something from a Billy Bunter novel and swearing at the kicker (unless it's Sam Tomkins) is a tad too far.

I might buy one of those sheep dog whistles! Come bye!
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Thread Information