Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default RWC shirt sponsor

So, as I understand it, teams are not allowed to have shirt sponsors at the RWC

Not sure why, but there it is .

So why do the referees have a shirt sponsor ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RWC shirt sponsor

Because the sponsorship money goes to WR?
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Same as the Olympics I'm guessing. Only those approved by the Organising Committee - the suits at WR - can be displayed.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    Same as the Olympics I'm guessing. Only those approved by the Organising Committee - the suits at WR - can be displayed.
    So why not aprove some team sponsors .. and take a cut even.

Seems like sponsor money is being left on the table

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This issue raised its head back in RWC 2015 too. An article headed: Rugby World Cup – The Death of Logo Centered Sponsorship

Interestingly, the Rugby World Cup is commencing today. In keeping with the basis of the Soccerex discussion is the reminder that no official team sponsor will be allowed to display their logo on their respective team shirts at the tournament as England’s Rugby sponsorship is handled by the RFU, whilst the Rugby World Cup is handled by World Rugby.
    Emirates give there side of the story.
    Emirates also extended its sponsorship of the International Rugby Board’s (IRB) match officials until the end of 2019, which includes for the first time in Rugby World Cup (RWC) history the rights to brand the shirts of match officials on the field of play during the tournament. Since the inception of RWC in 1987, no brand has ever featured on the playing kits of players or match officials.

Emirates company website
    Wonder how much that cost them?
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:09.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So back to my first question .. why do the RWC eschew shirt sponsors ?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

chbg answered your original question, referees have Emirates logo because WR make the tournament rules and regulations. So they can bend the rules to suit themselves. Probably got a lucrative deal on flights to Japan.

I suspect sponsorship has become more and more complicated with the advent of TV rights. The tournament has official sponsors, who won’t like being upstaged by others having their logo on 30+ individuals which the camera Is focusing on. Also it is apparently possible for those stadium billboards to be «*replaced*» (pasted over) on retransmitted images, because their positions are a known factor in a 3D space, not so the jerseys running willy nilly about the pitch. To ensure the best possible deal from current sponsors, WR need to be able to reassure them their rivals cannot upstage them? Allowing 20 Unions put their sponsors on jerseys effectively would mean WR could not make any assurances to tournament sponsors about exclusive rights. That money is pocketed by the Unions not WR. A bit like one of your guests turning up at a house-party you organised and selling refreshments to the other folks you invited.

Perhaps Google it, the question has probably already been answered.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:09.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No, I realise that the reason teams don't have shirt sponsor is because RWC won't let them

My question is : why don't RWC allow shirt sponsors ? That is a lot of potential revenue turned down

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    chbg answered your original question, referees have Emirates logo because WR make the tournament rules and regulations. So they can bend the rules to suit themselves. Probably got a lucrative deal on flights to Japan.

I suspect sponsorship has become more and more complicated with the advent of TV rights. The tournament has official sponsors, who won’t like being upstaged by others having their logo on 30+ individuals which the camera Is focusing on. Also it is apparently possible for those stadium billboards to be «*replaced*» (pasted over) on retransmitted images, because their positions are a known factor in a 3D space, not so the jerseys running willy nilly about the pitch. To ensure the best possible deal from current sponsors, WR need to be able to reassure them their rivals cannot upstage them? Allowing 20 Unions put their sponsors on jerseys effectively would mean WR could not make any assurances to tournament sponsors about exclusive rights. That money is pocketed by the Unions not WR. A bit like one of your guests turning up at a house-party you organised and selling refreshments to the other folks you invited.

Perhaps Google it, the question has probably already been answered.
    Nailed it. If teams were allowed sponsors, these sponsors could easily clash with RWC sponsors, thus making the RWC sponsorship less attractive.

There are a lot of lofty goals for the RWC, but fundamentally it is designed to make money for WR operations.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    No, I realise that the reason teams don't have shirt sponsor is because RWC won't let them

My question is : why don't RWC allow shirt sponsors ? That is a lot of potential revenue turned down
    Potential for clash with one of the team's sponsors perhaps.

For example the All Blacks would be put in a tough position if WR said they had to wear Emirates on their shirt - given that Air New Zealand is a big sponsor of NZ Rugby. You could say the same about just about any company that was internaitonal and prominent enough to want to sponsor a shirt (i.e. Coke v Pepsi, rival beer companies, apparel companies, etc.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information