Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RWC shirt sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    Potential for clash with one of the team's sponsors perhaps.

For example the All Blacks would be put in a tough position if WR said they had to wear Emirates on their shirt - given that Air New Zealand is a big sponsor of NZ Rugby. You could say the same about just about any company that was internaitonal and prominent enough to want to sponsor a shirt (i.e. Coke v Pepsi, rival beer companies, apparel companies, etc.
    I don't really see that.Every other competition in rugby has both tournament sponsors and also team sponsors . Doesn't seem to cause any problems

Newbie Referee, youth rugby coach

Soc/Assoc
    NERRS
    Grade
    Bottom of the totem pole
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is the reason the officials are branded because those tops are possibly the only thing *not* for sale? I think I've had pretty much everything possible dumped over my screen for sale, but I've not seen ref shirts being pimped. Not yet, anyway...

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

2015 tops were branded and for sale...

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: RWC shirt sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't really see that.Every other competition in rugby has both tournament sponsors and also team sponsors . Doesn't seem to cause any problems
    It’s not that it doesn’t cause problems; I just think the individual soccer federations are more powerful than FIFA.
    See this article for details:Soccer jersey sponsors and the world cup.(aka Sponsorship in Association Football)
    The market for soccer jerseys is a multibillion market dominated by Adidas, Nike and Puma.
    If you are earning big money directly, you don’t need to kowtow to the governing body for handouts to survive.

The three main sources of finance are the revenues from the sales of TV rights, gate revenues and revenues from sponsoring and merchandize.

What you are suggesting is robbing Peter to pay Paul, as far as WR are concerned. By not allowing logos on teams’ kit they (WR) can earn more from TV advertising. Also that money goes direct to WR coffers and not to the individual Unions. Which gives WR further control over the distribution after the WRC. And when a TV sponsor say «*You told us there’d be no logos on the field of play.*» Nope we said «*No sponsors on the teams jerseys; oh, and do read the small print before you sign.*»
    The incentive of first class flights for WR staff to the RWC Japan 2019, surely influenced their decision too.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:09.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking more of the rugby 6 nations or championship.
    Or the European Cup

All those have tournament sponsors and also team sponsors

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Re: RWC shirt sponsor

I think each tournament comes with its own set of conundrums.

Gallagher, Heineken and Guinness – 3 different approaches to sponsorship
    How the three title sponsors ensure they ‘own the moment’.
    The underlying problem is that everyone was exclusive rights, and they are willing to pay big money to get that exclusivity. It seems that Rugby can still offer it, whereas Football can no longer do so.

There is still space in Rugby for big logos
    Football is totally overcrowded. If you take the FIFA World Cup, for example, there’s far too many brands associating themselves directly. It is difficult to cut through whereas you don’t have that as much with rugby.
    So it seems some sponsors like Heineken want to cut out the competition. Others like Gallagher want to differentiate from the competition by embracing the grassroots game/community angle.
    Sponsorship and commercial managers in rugby have a hard job guaranteeing the exposure that their sponsors expect.
    So it is very much a case of getting the blend right, to suit these different needs and exploit the attraction Rugby has, due to its lack of big names for now.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:09.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

One real step forward in the RWC is that they have finally removed the ref cams.

Without a camera strapped to them all the refs look trimmer, smarter and more dignified

Anyone miss the occasional shaky misaligned footage of scrums ? Thought not .

Hopefully this will set a trend

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    One real step forward in the RWC is that they have finally removed the ref cams.

Without a camera strapped to them all the refs look trimmer, smarter and more dignified
    Anyone miss the occasional shaky misaligned footage of scrums ? Thought not .

Hopefully this will set a trend
    Nic Berry still wears one, but it points at him!
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not really on topic but I thought I’d share the time I was assessing at an U18 international between England and France. The match officials were provided with two shirts - one white and one blue!

Thread Information