Thread: I wonder how the game would be if we, referees, actually implemented the Tackle Law?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default I wonder how the game would be if we, referees, actually implemented the Tackle Law?

Tackle Law

PLAYER RESPONSIBILITIES

Tacklers must:
    Immediately release the ball and the ball-carrier after both players go to ground.
    Immediately move away from the tackled player and from the ball or get up.
    Be on their feet before attempting to play the ball.
    Allow the tackled player to release or play the ball.
    Allow the tackled player to move away from the ball.
    Sanction: Penalty.

Tacklers may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed.

Tackled players must immediately:

Make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.
    Move away from the ball or get up.
    Ensure that they do not lie on, over or near the ball to prevent opposition players from gaining possession of it.
    Sanction: Penalty.

How much of this do you see happening in your games, or on televised games?
    Attached Images

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I wonder how the game would be if we, referees, actually implemented the Tackle L

There's alot of talk about "Surviving the Clear-out." Surely if I've got hands on the ball when the tackled player's support comes in to "clear me out" I'll take the ball with me if the tackled BC has adhered to his responsibilities.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I wonder how the game would be if we, referees, actually implemented the Tackle L

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    There's alot of talk about "Surviving the Clear-out." Surely if I've got hands on the ball when the tackled player's support comes in to "clear me out" I'll take the ball with me if the tackled BC has adhered to his responsibilities.
    Not if you're cleared out properly. Ask a decent second- or third-rower for a demonstration

Re: the OP: penalties around the tackle/tackler releasing are not uncommon. Assuming you only whistle what's material, I'm not sure what you're missing in normal grassroots games; it's implemented. In terms of tackled player rolling way, that's usually only material if a teammate has latched on and is using them as an anchor or broom to sweep the ball back on a losing ruck.

"Immediately" being taken as clear-and-obvious, that is to say about the time it takes to say "immediately", of course; if you tighten it up to a tenth of a second then you're going to get a lot of penalties, mess, spilled balls, borderline calls and frustration. And I'm not sure what point or improvement you'd be making...

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not necessarily. If I target your arms in the clearout, there's every chance you drop the ball.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Fair enough, but if I drop it, that most likely means that the BC is still holding it too. I don't think I've ever seen a scenario where the jackeler has the ball cleanly and been cleared out to the point of the tackled team being able to retain the ball from the original tackle. It usually because the BC still has a hold of the ball and preventing quick play by stopping his opponent from winning the ball. It lies in the Law that says the BC needs to have an opportunity to play the ball, so they get the chance to hold on for about a second or 2 to do just that. I do think that's fair enough if there's no-one competing for the ball.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see the problem with how the laws at the tackle are currently being enforced.

This aspect of Rugby is good at the moment. Leave it alone is my view.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This has been a subject of much discussion over the years. It is a very much a case of getting the Laws and interpretations to balance fairly (which does not necessarily equate to equally) between the retaining of possession and the contesting of possession.

If the Laws and interpretations are made such that jackle turnovers are too easy to get, coaches become unwilling to have their players take the ball into contact. This was the case in the early to mid 2000s - players did not want to risk getting jackled in their own territory. What resulted was a game of "forceback" - a boring exhibition of aimless punting up and down the field. The 2007 RWC Final was a fine example, where England and South Africa managed to kick the ball away in play about 97 times - one aimless kick every 49 seconds!

On the other hand, if the Laws and interpretations make it too difficult to get a turnover, teams don't bother trying - the risk of giving away a PK is not worth the prize. We end up with one team having a "procession of possession" for multiple phases, while the other team put minimal players in the breakdown, and, just as boring as the kickfest, line the defensive trenches trying to force an error.

IMO, the Laws balance, interpretation and application is about right now
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 03-10-19 at 02:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    This has been a subject of much discussion over the years. It is a very much a case of getting the Laws and interpretations to balance fairly (which does not necessarily equate to equally) between the retaining of possession and the contesting of possession.

If the Laws and interpretations are made such that jackle turnovers are too easy to get, coaches become unwilling to have their players take the ball into contact. This was the case in the early to mid 2000s - players did not want to risk getting jackled in their own territory. What resulted was a game of "forceback" - a boring exhibition of aimless punting up and down the field. The 2007 RWC Final was a fine example, where England and South Africa managed to kick the ball away in play about 97 times - one aimless kick every 49 seconds!

On the other hand, if the Laws and interpretations make it too difficult to get a turnover, teams don't bother trying - the risk of giving away a PK is not worth the prize. We end up with one team having a "procession of possession" for multiple phases, while the other team put minimal players in the breakdown and, just as bring as the kickfest, lines the defensive trenches trying to force an error.

IMO, the Laws balance, interpretation and application is about right now
    Agree, although I would like to see some emphasis on arriving teammates of the BC keeping their feet rather than belly flopping over the contest

Thread Information