Thread: Should the game clock be reset?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should the game clock be reset?

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Why would it be unfair? They are wasting everyone's time where rugby could be played.

I think a full minute from when the tee arrives is an eternity, standing around while the kicker goes through their OCD routine. Wait 30 seconds for tee to arrive, take mouth piece out, have a sip of water, toss grass to gauge wind, place tee, place ball on tee, take 3 steps back, adjust ball on tee, adjust a second time, take steps back, touch face 3 times, walk in place 5 times, stare at posts for 20 seconds, then kick.
    You clearly have no appreciation of what it takes to be a goal-kicker. You are suggesting it is a just a matter of putting the ball on the tee and kicking it. Well, it is isn't. Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    When you get to my age you'll appreciate that minute!
    Yeah. The Percy is obviously not old enough to have watched Bob Hiller kicking for goal
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 19:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    You clearly have no appreciation of what it takes to be a goal-kicker. You are suggesting it is a just a matter of putting the ball on the tee and kicking it. Well, it is isn't. Not by a long shot.

Yeah. The Percy is obviously not old enough to have watched Bob Hiller kicking for goal
    I was a kicker for Grid Football, albeit a second string one, and this was 20+ years ago. I had to run onto the field, and get set to kick during the roughly 30 second play clock that the ball needed to be snapped within. Then within roughly 3 second, the holder would catch and place the ball, and I would kick it, otherwise it will blocked by the defense. The ball is a little smaller, the posts roughly the same size, no tee though, just a holder, much less time. We just got on with it.

I think the kickers would soon adjust to less dicking around time, or new kickers would be chosen. I guess it may lead to less accuracy in kicking for goal, and teams would adjust by kicking at goal less, happy days.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I was a kicker for Grid Football, albeit a second string one, and this was 20+ years ago. I had to run onto the field, and get set to kick during the roughly 30 second play clock that the ball needed to be snapped within. Then within roughly 3 second, the holder would catch and place the ball, and I would kick it, otherwise it will blocked by the defense. The ball is a little smaller, the posts roughly the same size, no tee though, just a holder, much less time. We just got on with it.

I think the kickers would soon adjust to less dicking around time, or new kickers would be chosen. I guess it may lead to less accuracy in kicking for goal, and teams would adjust by kicking at goal less, happy days.
    I'll take a different view, I wish that more teams had kickers that could consistently hit from long range (and let them take such cracks at goal). If infringements between the 22m and halfway (or beyond) could consistently lead to 3 points, I think we'd see a lot less infringing in that area, and thus more positive play.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So your experience is every kick directly in front of the posts usually no more than 30 metres away. It also seems you would be willing to wipe away a key skill of the game for the sake of saving a few seconds. Maybe we should do away with scrums and line-outs, and eliminate flankers from the game too.

Because of its shape, an American football is WAAAAY easier to kick than a rugby football and it flies straighter as well. As a goalkicker in rugby (yes, props can be goalkickers) my max range was about 40 yards, but in the times I have practised with a gridiron ball, I was able to belt them over from more than 50 yards, and with higher accuracy too.

The only disadvantage kicking a gridiron ball is drop kicking. Its more pointy, so the ball tends not to pop-up as straight... nonetheless, it can be done....

Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 20:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I also think we are quite generous to kickers.
    I'd be in favour of reducing the the time a bit, see what happens. Yes it would be harder for kickers , but less boring for everyone else. And it's the same for everyone.

(I'd also reduce the time allowed for hakas .. for similar reasons )

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of areas of the game where we should force the hurry up: kickers fill the time allotted, if they had less then they would adjust to fit or someone who could work in less time would; line outs - lots of dummying and dancing and playing just get it in; back rucks and mauls with SH now taking forever to try and set up the effect box kick and also veering back to dummying.

Let's play the game at tempo and see who keeps up.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    It also seems you would be willing to wipe away a key skill of the game for the sake of saving a few seconds. Maybe we should do away with scrums and line-outs, and eliminate flankers from the game too.

[/video]
    I think you are being disingenuous here. You just a few post prior suggested taking away the opportunity to kick for points on most PKs. I want the kickers to be MORE skilled, and able to kick under a time pressure. It's not impossible.

Thread Information