Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Law changes that have TRULY benefited the grass roots game

Since 1992 (a baseline when the game changed quite radically) what are the law changes made that truly benefit the grass roots game as opposed to just being really redundant?

For example... the various scrum cadences used - grass roots scrums didn't noticeably have an issue with constant collapses, and did/do the job of restarting the game with a slight advantage to one side (all things being otherwise basically equal). So a redundant change for grass rtoots possibly.

and then lineout lifting - has IMO benefitted grass roots rugby ... cleaner ball, and has given the lumps a real job to do rather than niggle/thump the opposition.

These are merely two examples off the top of my head and are not intenbded to be the focus of this thread.

so - keeping focus - what are the law changes made that truly benefit the grass roots game???

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law changes that have TRULY benefited the grass roots game

Interchanges (Rolling subs)

Much simpler for everyone. Much less to complain about

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This thread is going to be a bit restricted to those who played/refereed pre 1992 but notwithstanding that I'd say:-

Lifting (1996?) - 100% agree. I packed in Jan 1998 and played in the backs anyway so it didn't really affect me that much - I certainly never benefitted from quick ball off the top as the teams I played in were too shit at lifting to take real advantage of it. It turned up around the time of professionalism as I recall and seemed to be driven by the re-appearance of SA to World Rugby - they appeared to have been "supporting" since the Cavaliers into the early nineties. I look at old clips and see Clive Norling et al whistling for penalties at the LO and shake my head. From a refereeing point of view I'm glad it changed.

I think 5 pts for a try (1989) has helped to reward "running" Rugby.

I think kicking tees help, as mud mound/divot and (for a bit) sand were a pain in the arse - I know Rose Tinted spec wearers may disagree.

I know old stagers at my club will disagree but the maul turnover and latterly the "not rolling away bit" helps move the game away from a who's got the strongest arms contest. My club had an awesome mauling game in the 70s and 80s which involved a certain back row forward getting his hydraulic ram like arms round the ball (he pulled for what were the World Tug of War Champions at the time) and the pack would trundle up field 'til we got another scrum to set it all up again. Yawn!

Back rows staying bound 'til scrum ends - good.

Non participants 5m from HMF at scrum - good

Not sure if it's a "new" (1992?) law but keeping non participants 10m from LoT until LO finishes - good.

Scrum 90 degrees limit - good - although I do remember them revolving 180 degrees and driving a team off their ball but going the wrong way

More may occur to me as (if) thread develops.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The taking the ball back into the 22m and kicking the ball dead from a kick-off.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Kicking the ball dead from FoP and oppos only get a 22 drop out - now scrum or 22 option.

This change would have stymied my tactic at BP Chemicals of just hoofing the ball from our 22 downfield with the wind to go dead and send them back 60m - happy days.

BP Chemicals is east of Hull and with an easterly wind blowing there's nothing between the Urals and the pitch (apart from a bloke up a ladder in Denmark).
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Restarting (after a score) with a drop out. See mud mound/divot/sand from earlier.
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 08-10-19 at 12:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Red and yellow cards.

Clear to all watching although now I think about it. Did we have "temporary suspension" before cards?

I can't recall playing in a game where someone got sent off - bear in mind (pre-leagues) we were playing games against North Nottinghamshire teams during and after the Miners' Strike 1984-1985 - oooohhh!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    This thread is going to be a bit restricted to those who played/refereed pre 1992 but notwithstanding that I'd say:-

well... if people havent started playing/reffing since eg 2005, then whatever they are aware of since then.

I only suggested 1992 as a baseline as there was a HUGE change in the laws then, but also there may have been changes in 1923 that benefited the grass roots game but we may not actually be aware of them :-)

and tbh if someone has an example form 1975 then go for it :-)

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Red and yellow cards.

Did we have "temporary suspension" before cards?
    Unless it was a local regulation - possibly in some deregulated competiton ? - I don't recall so no.

All excellent suggestion LLP - tx.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I can't recall playing in a game where someone got sent off
    Oh I do! (not me!)

mind you, i do recall totally lenient times... I clearly remember an icident in circa 1981/82 when an oppo just stepped forward at a halt in play as our prop was getting up and just smashed him with a haymaker/uppercut. The ref just said he couldnt send him off as he hadnt yet been warned. TBH I thought that was bloody ridiculous then, and I still think so. It would be difficult to think of a more blatant red card aside from maybe stamping continuously on someones head to the extent of making them unconcious.

Or maybe thumping the ref in a similar manner

didds

Thread Information