Thread: RWC Wales v Fiji penalty try

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default RWC Wales v Fiji penalty try

Around 54mins, Fiji are awarded a penalty try.

8.3 A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts if foul play by the opposing team prevents a probable try from being scored, or scored in a more advantageous position. A player guilty of this must be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off. No conversion is attempted.

But no YC nor RC was issued.

Any ideas why?

At the time, I thought perhaps unkindly that Garces simply didn't want to YC a second Welsh player within 2 minutes of each other.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RWC Wales v Fiji penalty try

That makes two this RWC doesn't it, as NZ had a PT with no YC issued to the oppo.

Odd

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I missed the NZ one.

I thought it odd indeed. Would have had Wales down to 13 players...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    I missed the NZ one.

I thought it odd indeed. Would have had Wales down to 13 players...
    Discussed here
    http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread....ad+penalty+try

No YC issued

New secret guidance?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Saw this at the time myself, this was a pulled down maul so maybe couldn't find a single culprit? But seems unusual as between ref and AR they normally get a number (is it within the TMO protocol to use TMO to find the number? Or only if the incident as a whole is referred?)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A collapsed maul is Law 16 11.2. Foul play is Law 9. So it was not an automatic Card not is a scrum offence. Although it can / possibly should be taken as Law 9.7. in which case it would be one. Perhaps WR want refs to have wriggle room.

Not saying I agree with it. Of course, the 2018 "simplification" omitted the "foul play" bit from the PT sanctions. But clearly it is still being refereed under the pre simplification mantra.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 11-10-19 at 09:10.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    A collapsed maul is Law 16 11.2. Foul play is Law 9. So it was not an automatic Card not is a scrum offence. Although it can / possibly should be taken as Law 9.7. in which case it would be one. Perhaps WR want refs to have wriggle room.

Not saying I agree with it. Of course, the 2018 "simplification" omitted the "foul play" bit from the PT sanctions. But clearly it is still being refereed under the pre simplification mantra.
    Marc, the law 16 says intentionally collapsing a maul is a penalty; also says a maul ends unsuccessfully if collapsed not as a result of foul play, which leads to the conclusion intentionally collapsing is foul play and so you can go to Law 9 (which permits just a caution).

However, Law 8 is clear on the PT scenario, quoted above. It gives no wriggle room as far as I can see: you can award a PT if there has been foul play; having done so there must be a YC or RC.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Discussed here
    http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread....ad+penalty+try

No YC issued

New secret guidance?
    I thought that in the NZ one, the whole Canadian front row stood up in the scrum.

IMO, it would be manifestly unfair to either pick one at random, of YC all three of them.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[LAWS2017]10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
    (a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or
    play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned
    that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.
    Sanction: Penalty kick
    A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise
    have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be
    cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.[/LAWS]

There was a clarification (around 2004) that only if the offence was deemed to be intentional would a Card be compulsory, also separately the need for clear id of the offender was required. This reference was omitted in 2018. Now it would be odd if they made a clarification only to make a change via a "simplification re-write" in which WR stated there we no changes. Now we know that has led to much debate and confusion. After all how could a ref joining in 2019 beexpected to know the 2017 book let alone clarifications from the early 2000s?

So, there is room for wriggle and debate on whether or not a YC was compulsory in either the NZ PT or the Fiji one. Perhaps Brett Gosper would be better making his Temporary "holiday" from Twitter permanent whilst he gets a grip on the Laws department Or he could use twitter and other vehicles to clearly explain what is going on.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Saw this at the time myself, this was a pulled down maul so maybe couldn't find a single culprit? But seems unusual as between ref and AR they normally get a number (is it within the TMO protocol to use TMO to find the number? Or only if the incident as a whole is referred?)
    I'd say yes it is in the protocol. But others can be sure.

Thread Information