Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: So, about this framework then...

      
  1. #21

    Referees in America
    thepercy's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    21 Sep 13
    Posts
    764
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think the question mark at the end signifies it's a guess, or a possibility
    Or wild speculation?

  2. #22

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,990
    Thanks (Received)
    147
    Likes (Received)
    1819

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    it has crossed everyone's mind that Owen Farrell is at risk of a card this RWC.. especially if he's rattled.
    it will have crossed Australia's mind as well

    wouldn't that be a reason to attack down his channel ? I think it would be.

    of course it's only one of many factors at play in deciding the game plan.

  3. #23

    Referees in Australia
    TigerCraig's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Join Date
    19 May 08
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    209

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    If players are jumping ship because they can no longer hit their opponents in the head while tackling, then good riddance.
    That's not what I said. I'm not talking about deliberate thuggery, but good hard hits.

    I know we are in a unique situation in Australia in that we have 3 contact football codes. Unfortunately rugby is getting squeezed between high contact league and low contact Aussie Rules. PI players are the only thing holding union together in some parts of Australia - I have refereed games where I am the only non-PI person on the pitch. At my club my son was the only non PI member of the backline in our 1st XV in most games. There is no doubt PI players are targeted by referees.

    I am already seeing those who enjoy and embrace hard contact (not thuggery) starting to gravitate towards league. The last 4 red cards my club has received were all to PI players, 3 for high tackles and 1 for 2 yellows. Luckily all 3 of the high tackles had no suspension recorded as the tribunal thought the referees over reacted, but 2 of those players have walked away from the game.

  4. #24

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,315
    Thanks (Received)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    1505

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    That's not what I said. I'm not talking about deliberate thuggery, but good hard hits.
    A question (or three).

    Do you think Bundi Aki's hit on Ulupano Seuteni was a just a "good hard hit"?

    Do you think SBW's hit on Anthony Watson was just a "good hard hit"?

    Do you think Reece Hodge's hit on Peceli Yato was just a "good hard hit"?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 18-10-19 at 00:10.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  5. #25

    Referees in Australia
    TigerCraig's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Join Date
    19 May 08
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    209

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    A question (or three).

    Do you think Bundi Aki's hit on Ulupano Seuteni was a just a "good hard hit"?

    Do you think SBW's hit on Anthony Watson was just a "good hard hit"?

    Do you think Reece Hodge's hit on Peceli Yato was just a "good hard hit"?
    First and third penalty maybe yc depending on tone of game. Havent seen the second.

    Anyway Im out of touch which is one of many reasons i have walked away from refereeing

  6. #26

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,315
    Thanks (Received)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    1505

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    First and third penalty maybe yc depending on tone of game. Havent seen the second.

    Anyway Im out of touch which is one of many reasons i have walked away from refereeing

    Well, this is what I think.....

    IMO, all three tackles were stone cold RC, even before the framework (the SBW one was in 2017, so it was) and none of them have any place in our game. Now, if that causes a few players to decide they don't want to be in our game because they risk punishment for those kinds of tackles, then I say good riddance to them, and have fun getting your head smashed in league.

    What those players did was completely unnecessary. In particular, Bundi Aki was well above the line of the shoulders well before impact; that tackle he made didn't achieve anything that could not have been achieved by tackling the ball, or at the level of the ball (other than knock the ball carrier unconscious and causing him to have to leave the field)

    For mine, the sooner the game returns to tackling by grasping the opponent with the intent of bringing him to the ground (which is what the Laws describe) rather than trying to belt seven bells out of the opponent with the intent of knocking him to the ground, the better off the game will be.

    If collision sports are to survive into the future, they MUST seriously address concussion issues. Like it or not, that is the world we live in now.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 18-10-19 at 07:10.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  7. #27
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    389

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    ALS and MND are the same thing

    https://neurological.org.nz/resource...isease-and-als

    And yes, there has been a link shown between repeated concussions and ALS.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2239342/
    Indeed

    http://web.alsa.org/site/PageNavigator/blog_011718.html

    Also refers.

  8. #28
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    389

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Or wild speculation?
    Hardly "wild". However, specuation, as indicated by the article's use of language, yes.

  9. #29
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    389

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Well, this is what I think.....

    IMO, all three tackles were stone cold RC, even before the framework (the SBW one was in 2017, so it was) and none of them have any place in our game. Now, if that causes a few players to decide they don't want to be in our game because they risk punishment for those kinds of tackles, then I say good riddance to them, and have fun getting your head smashed in league.

    What those players did was completely unnecessary. In particular, Bundi Aki was well above the line of the shoulders well before impact; that tackle he made didn't achieve anything that could not have been achieved by tackling the ball, or at the level of the ball (other than knock the ball carrier unconscious and causing him to have to leave the field)

    For mine, the sooner the game returns to tackling by grasping the opponent with the intent of bringing him to the ground (which is what the Laws describe) rather than trying to belt seven bells out of the opponent with the intent of knocking him to the ground, the better off the game will be.

    If collision sports are to survive into the future, they MUST seriously address concussion issues. Like it or not, that is the world we live in now.
    Agreed.

    Macho attitudes about "good hard rugby" have no place. You can get a good hard FAIR hit. Just change your attitude. It might be that the PI boys get more than most because they fail to grasp the difference. Or maybe they don't care?

    WE still have a few dinosaurs who think a good shoeing or a punch or two are part of the game. And any opposition to them is "rugby going soft" / "PC gone made".

    Bye Bye to them I say.

  10. #30

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,927
    Thanks (Received)
    167
    Likes (Received)
    1328
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: So, about this framework then...

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    it has crossed everyone's mind that Owen Farrell ........
    Everyones?

    I don't think it's crossed my 88 year old Mum's mind

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •