Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

      
  1. #21

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Yes. Lineout not completed correctly. Depending on who knocks on? I would think this would be the intention of the laws. A side that wants the game to end could ‘accidentally’ knock-on just as they could throw incorrectly.
    That would be a deliberate knock on, and a PK so game continues

  2. #22

    Referees in Scotland
    Pinky's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    09 Apr 10
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    163

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Back to the OP, if you had said time was up, or last play or whatever, what did Blue expect you to do when asked to stop for an injury? The restart for a stoppage like that is a scrum and that cannot be awarded after time is up other than as an option for a PK and FK or squint throw at a line out or kick off. So I think you got it right.

  3. #23

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,670
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1439

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Back to the OP, if you had said time was up, or last play or whatever, what did Blue expect you to do when asked to stop for an injury?
    I expect Blue saw foul play that they expected/hoped that the ref would penalise. If I was the ref, I would have played on and let the medicos look after it. Stopping play (unless there is a danger of the injured player getting run over) achieves little.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  4. #24
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    973
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Had a situation a year or two ago.
    Youths game, time expired in 1st half (players aware) Red attacking Blue goal line 5m out pick and goes.
    Blue player goes to ground after a tackle holding his head. I blow it up for safety and then blow for half time.
    Was queried by Red coaches as to why I didn't restart.
    Turns out the 'injured' player was actually injured and didn't take any further part in the game.

    However I often think about this scenario and wonder should I have restarted the game .. I'm still torn as to which I should do if the situation should arise again!

  5. #25

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I expect Blue saw foul play that they expected/hoped that the ref would penalise. If I was the ref, I would have played on and let the medicos look after it. Stopping play (unless there is a danger of the injured player getting run over) achieves little.
    I agree but sometimes if all the team in possession stop playing the only sensible thing to do is blow the whistle

  6. #26
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    451

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Had a situation a year or two ago.
    Youths game, time expired in 1st half (players aware) Red attacking Blue goal line 5m out pick and goes.
    Blue player goes to ground after a tackle holding his head. I blow it up for safety and then blow for half time.
    Was queried by Red coaches as to why I didn't restart.
    Turns out the 'injured' player was actually injured and didn't take any further part in the game.

    However I often think about this scenario and wonder should I have restarted the game .. I'm still torn as to which I should do if the situation should arise again!
    You did the right thing for me.

  7. #27
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,343
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Both safety and enjoyment are improved when the referee follows the law.

    If you make up law the disadvantaged team will not enjoy it
    That's irrelevant, because safety-enjoyment(-equity?)-law is the priority to apply when there's a conflict between two or more of them. Rigid application of the law out of context of safety, enjoyment or in this case equity, is to be discouraged.

    So it could be argued that since neither the blue nor the red team have had any chance to end the game as they wish, as the referee has stopped for a player safety incident off the ball and away from the contest, it's equitable to restart in order to allow the teams to decide their fortune through skill rather than blind luck.

    It can also be argued "that's what it says in the book". Which argument is found to be correct depends a lot on the level of the game, the temper of the match, and probably the culture of the country it's being played in. But I don't think either is definitively right or wrong.

  8. #28

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,539
    Thanks (Received)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    838

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Did Mr Rolland say that it was occasionally Ok to let common sense trump law when a player used a referee as a shield and the try was awarded? He was of the opinion a scrum would have been the right decision.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  9. #29

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Did Mr Rolland say that it was occasionally Ok to let common sense trump law when a player used a referee as a shield and the try was awarded? He was of the opinion a scrum would have been the right decision.
    What Law was trumped in that scenario?
    The law didn't cover it, so common sense was appropriate

  10. #30

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    .
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    13 Dec 08
    Posts
    139
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default Re: End of Game - Did I get it Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I expect Blue saw foul play that they expected/hoped that the ref would penalise. If I was the ref, I would have played on and let the medicos look after it. Stopping play (unless there is a danger of the injured player getting run over) achieves little.
    Dickie, I think you are right about hoping for a penalty, something i noted in the orginal question. Having been prompted to stop play by Blue Captain, the player down was not being attended and he appeared sparko, so going to his aid was my priority. Having not got penalty they thought we should gio back for the KO and a scrum .. I did not!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •