Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    ...A case of too much advantage?

  2. #2

    Referees in New Zealand


    Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Join Date
    05 May 11
    Posts
    1,664
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    248

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    ...A case of too much advantage?
    Do you think it should have been advantage over in the micro second before he dropped it?

    Maybe you are right, but that's not how advantage in the 22m is reffed in practice. PK advantage in the 22m is generally either a try/drop goal, or there is no advantage.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

  3. #3
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Having seen Wayne Barnes call advantage over for something not dissimilar in a Premiership game, it's worth raising the point again.

  4. #4
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    973
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post

    Maybe you are right, but that's not how advantage in the 22m is reffed in practice. PK advantage in the 22m is generally either a try/drop goal, or there is no advantage.
    I'm inclined to agree...but unfortunately my last assessor had a very different view!

  5. #5

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    168
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    57

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    I'm interested in an advantage call made by Wayne Barnes on Sunday. From a Japanese knock-on, advantage is called and with South African having won the ruck WB says to De Klerk "We'll see how good the kick is". Once it is obvious the kick is going to make touch he calls advantage over. The inference I took was that if the clearance kick had been fluffed he would have gone back to the scrum. A similar incident happened during a National L1 game I saw recently when the 10 failed to make touch from a knock-on advantage and the ref blew for the scrum as no advantage was gained. Both incidents were from stable possession at the base of a ruck which could be construed as freedom to play the ball as they wish. Just wondering how others ref this as my inclination is to call advantage over in similar circumstances.

  6. #6

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    15,000
    Thanks (Received)
    177
    Likes (Received)
    1382
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    I'm interested in an advantage call made by Wayne Barnes on Sunday. From a Japanese knock-on, advantage is called and with South African having won the ruck WB says to De Klerk "We'll see how good the kick is". Once it is obvious the kick is going to make touch he calls advantage over. The inference I took was that if the clearance kick had been fluffed he would have gone back to the scrum. A similar incident happened during a National L1 game I saw recently when the 10 failed to make touch from a knock-on advantage and the ref blew for the scrum as no advantage was gained. Both incidents were from stable possession at the base of a ruck which could be construed as freedom to play the ball as they wish. Just wondering how others ref this as my inclination is to call advantage over in similar circumstances.
    I think it was more a case of "see if he can get a good clearance kick out of choice" as opposed to " see if he has to kick under pressure and never gets the advantage".


    If a clearance kick is made under pressure and not out of choice then that's not an advantage. If he fluffs it, its not his fault.

    If the kicker is not under any pressure and chooses to kick the ball away then its usually advantage over as soon as he kicks it, becasue if he fluffs a kick like that its only him to blame.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  7. #7

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    168
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    57

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I think it was more a case of "see if he can get a good clearance kick out of choice" as opposed to " see if he has to kick under pressure and never gets the advantage".


    If a clearance kick is made under pressure and not out of choice then that's not an advantage. If he fluffs it, its not his fault.

    If the kicker is not under any pressure and chooses to kick the ball away then its usually advantage over as soon as he kicks it, becasue if he fluffs a kick like that its only him to blame.
    That's what made me ask the question as in neither situation was the kicker under pressure, standing well back from a stable platform. Having seen it twice in quick succession I was wondering if guidance had changed.

  8. #8

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,464
    Thanks (Received)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    1933

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    I am seeing more examples of refs waiting to see how the kick ends up, rather than calling adv over the moment it's kicked

    A small trend

    As in this case, they call adv over only if the kicker manages to to make the ball dead
    Last edited by crossref; 21-10-19 at 11:10.

  9. #9

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    15,000
    Thanks (Received)
    177
    Likes (Received)
    1382
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I am seeing more examples of refs waiting to see how the kick ends up, rather than calling adv over the moment it's kicked

    A small trend

    As in this case, they call adv over only if the kicker manages to to make the ball dead
    WB called the advantage over while the ball was still in flight on its way up. It might not have gone dead, but the defenders had cleared their lines and gained a territorial advantage.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  10. #10

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,464
    Thanks (Received)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    1933

    Default Re: RWC NZ vs Ireland.. henshaw's fluffed grounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    WB called the advantage over while the ball was still in flight on its way up. It might not have gone dead, but the defenders had cleared their lines and gained a territorial advantage.
    So, once it was kicked, adv was called over. It didn't matter whether or not the ball goes dead.

    I am happy with that.

    That's a principle we could apply in other circumstances, isn't it ?

    Last edited by crossref; 21-10-19 at 11:10.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •