Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Knock-on

Just to confirm.

In the Wales France game. If the ball was moving towards the french try line, ripped by a Welsh player it should be a knock-on, correct ? (clarification 4 of 2011).

So many comment of no knock-on on rip, I am getting confused

Rugby Club Member Darryl Godden's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knock-on

Was searching for this.

From the law:

A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.

How is it never going to be from an opponent hand or arm if it is a rip?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think here , from the limited TV angles available , they decided they weren't certain the ball had actually gone forward

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Darryl this law is when the ball goes forward from the player having the ball (not the ripper). If the ripper rips toward his own try line it is not a knock on from the ball carrier.
    In this case the ball goes forward from the ripper
    Crossref, I am not arguing if the ball went forward or not. Just want confirmation of the call if the ball was going forward (from red)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the ripper rips the ball forward (ie toward his opponent's dead ball line) , then yes, that is a knock on (clarification 2011/4)

If a tackler just happens to knock the ball forward (toward his opponents dead ball line) that's also a knock on (11.2)
    Last edited by crossref; 20-10-19 at 22:10.

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
    Darryl this law is when the ball goes forward from the player having the ball (not the ripper). If the ripper rips toward his own try line it is not a knock on from the ball carrier.
    In this case the ball goes forward from the ripper
    Crossref, I am not arguing if the ball went forward or not. Just want confirmation of the call if the ball was going forward (from red)
    The full law says this:

The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:

A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).

A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.
    So the law is explicitly negating a knock on/throw forward (forward pass) from a rip, nothing to do with direction, my argument - which I'm cross arguing on Twitter, is that the ball will always come from an opponents hand or arms, otherwise it is not a rip, therefore the referee was right in the decision, but confused things by asking for a review.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Darryl, I disagree there was a clarification in 2011 :https://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=...arification=82

Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from behind and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the red team’s goal line.the player ripping the ball out of the ball carrier’s hands is effectively throwing the ball towards the opposition team’s goal line and this is an infringement which requires the referee to award a scrum with the non-offending team throwing in subject to advantage.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

There seems to be an asymmetry in the treatment of a ripped ball.

Not a knock on in respect of the player having the ball ripped and it going forward from his hands, yet

A knock on in respect of the player ripping the ball and it going forward in relation to him.

The two possibilities are mutually exclusive.

It's such a hard one to call but in this instance, according to my understanding, Wales perhaps appear to have gotten away with one. The ball looked to be ripped forward.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 20-10-19 at 22:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is an area where the laws could be more clearly written.
    (and the rewrite didn't help)

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
    Darryl, I disagree there was a clarification in 2011 :https://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=...arification=82

Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from behind and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the red team’s goal line.the player ripping the ball out of the ball carrier’s hands is effectively throwing the ball towards the opposition team’s goal line and this is an infringement which requires the referee to award a scrum with the non-offending team throwing in subject to advantage.
    The ball was ripped in front, which I think satisfies scenario 1, although the majority are right - it's not clear and a tough call!

Thread Information