Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consult the captain?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6

Default Consult the captain?

Interesting comment from my Match Development Official (Assessor) in last weekend's match.

I showed a YC to the Black #16 for a repeated team offence - it was their 7th penalty infringement of the match and the clock was at 27 minutes of the 1st half. I had previously spoken to the captain about the escalation of penalties; most of which had been played out by advantage.

When the offence occurred - player was offside at a ruck (inside his team's 22m) despite being told to retreat - there was no advantage to be played because he had scragged the #9.

How would you handle this scenario? Captain is playing at #10, and it was the #6 who was shown the card.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Default Re: Consult the captain?

From the description, what you did was fine. You had issued a warning and then escalated.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Seems totally normal.

What are you possibly expecting as an alternative? OR rather, what did your assessor suggest as an alternative?

Purely secondary, #16 YCd 27 minutes into the match? A bit early for a bench player to be on "normally" - injury previously to another FR? Or was he on for a card already shown?

UPDATE: ah... just connected the thread title. Well I cold see the point of chatting with the captain also maybe - to reiterate what you'd already mentioned had happened! And I dunno whether you guys feel that a card resets the clock so to speak, but maybe to also say to the skipper that the previous chat was still in place ie too many PKs in the red zone in a short timeframe and the threat of more cards still looms.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 23-10-19 at 16:10.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

I would have had the captain with me when I binned the player.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

For a team warning , I reckon you do need to involve the captain in the YC (perhaps #6 was not aware of the team warning.. that would be the captain fault)

But Beckett, you would know that. I am at a loss to understand what the assessor picked you up for

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I am at a loss to understand what the assessor picked you up for
    ^^^^ this

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

What was your assessor's comment? The only thing I can maybe think was that if most of the offences didn't actually turn out to be penalties. He may have thought it was harsh to count these in your penalty count. He may feel that it's best to count infringements that have resulted in you blowing for awarding the penalty?? Don't know to be honest. I'm just guessing. Might be best to speak to him if you're under any doubt. As a new ref myself, I pretty much bombard my assessor with questions lol. I'm sure when he gets sent the invite through our whostheref system he thinks oh god not him again lol.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

I don’t think I expect a referee to ‘consult’ a captain about a card. Rather that he is ‘told’ the reason. (If he asks that is. If the signal is clear enough then he should know.)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    For a team warning , I reckon you do need to involve the captain in the YC (perhaps #6 was not aware of the team warning.. that would be the captain fault)

But Beckett, you would know that. I am at a loss to understand what the assessor picked you up for
    In essence the comment of the assessor was that I should have involved the Captain when the YC was shown - even though I had previously warned him (and it was not for a 'Foul Play' offence) - rather than just brandish the card and award the PK.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Well, I am sort of with the assessor.

For a YC I wouldnt necessarily call the captain over, only if I thought a explanation was appropriate.

For a team warning I would call the captain over because the player involved may well claim to have no idea about the team warning .. so nice to have the captain there (as it is the captain's fault if he didn't convey it, and on the other hand he won't pretend not to know if the capt told him perfectly well )

Of course you may have delivered the warning yourself to all the forwards ....

Thread Information