Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Consult the captain?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Agree with crossref.

You have a 40m line break on the wing and the blue fullback jumps into a tackle that slides high, and pushes/pulls the red winger into touch by his head 10m out. The whole crowd watching gasps, the fullback stands up looking sheepish and holding his hands up. There was a covering defender, so it's not a penalty try, but you have three red players itching to take the penalty and the blue backs still getting back into position.
    As per Didds, not really the same scenario, and there's nothing stopping them going quick if that's what they want, I'll not take that away from them, I can issue the card later.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There aren't very few absolutes.

It depends on the game, the issue, and dynamics within the management of the players
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    So no thoughts/opinions on the query regarding "you are still on a team warning captain" versus "the clock is reset from a team warning once a card is issued under it" ??

didds
    The issuing of a YC for a repeated team/player offence in no way resets the clock with regard to whether another YC will be shown.

In this case the #16 was off-side at a breakdown - and had slowed the ball down. If another player was to commit the same offence within the red-zone why would/should he avoid the same sanction? Likewise if there was a high tackle that, using the issued protocol, warranted a then I would show it (but, FWIW, that would be a "clock off, captain and #x to me please" event)

I recall a talk when I was a junior ref given by a top international referee - although back then he was only doing Tier 2 matches. His talk was about the impact of on the match and the PK. He put up a slide showing the PK and clearly showed that after a YC the PK did decrease because player behaviour modified. His mantra was "Get the cheats off the park early" - quite harsh but the sentiment is obvious.

I'm curious @didds; do you only reduce a team to 14 players irrespective of PK or foul play offence?
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had three yellows today, all player stupidity.

The last one, I was glad I had the captains with me. Was calling the players together to give them the "8 minutes left, calm down. I didn't see it and I don't need you two chipping behind me"

I was two words in when White 18 eyeballed his opposite number and said "I'm going to ****ing knock you out before the end of the game". I looked at the captain, and he shrugged....
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    So no thoughts/opinions on the query regarding "you are still on a team warning captain" versus "the clock is reset from a team warning once a card is issued under it" ??

didds
    Didds , for me, I take into account that YC if the team infringes again, but it depends on the next offence if it is a card. If I have warned a team, next pen here is yellow(I would not normally do that) and team gives away anothe pm, then yellow, I am not likely to YC at the next penalty unless the offence warranted, e.g. by being cynical.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Didds , for me, I take into account that YC if the team infringes again, but it depends on the next offence if it is a card. If I have warned a team, next pen here is yellow(I would not normally do that) and team gives away anothe pm, then yellow, I am not likely to YC at the next penalty unless the offence warranted, e.g. by being cynical.
    Agreed. A PK for a "minor" infringement after a YC, but another card if its cynical.

Thread Information