Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: That haka

THey are not the only country to do a Haka. They all do it at roughly the same time. I think it odd that the only one that raises objections is the NZ one.

Surely the solution is WR to lay down in the regs where and when it takes place in the proceedings.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    THey are not the only country to do a Haka. They all do it at roughly the same time. I think it odd that the only one that raises objections is the NZ one.

Surely the solution is WR to lay down in the regs where and when it takes place in the proceedings.
    It is laid down in the regs ... Which imo is part of the problem , we now have regulated, forced respect.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    I believe the haka is a great tradition of All Black rugby and also marks the contribution of the Maori tradition to the nation and the game. It is not about mind games, points scoring, etc. and should be observed respectfully.
    It's 15 blokes dancing and pulling faces.....i'm not surprised Owen smirked, I would as well.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Do the Pacific Islanders make the same demands? I have seen footage of inter-island matches where both do their ritual at the same time. In 2006 New Zealand did the haka in their own dressing room because Wales insisted on singing their anthem after it and just before the kick-off.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Do the Pacific Islanders make the same demands? I have seen footage of inter-island matches where both do their ritual at the same time. In 2006 New Zealand did the haka in their own dressing room because Wales insisted on singing their anthem after it and just before the kick-off.
    The New Zealand position that it’s their culture, has always made me smile. In the last century seeing 15 privileged white men doing something akin to morris dancing, while insisting they all have Maori blood. Fair enough.
    However nowadays over half the starting lineup are not New Zealanders, maori or otherwise.

Fijian Sevu Reece*
    Tongans Richie Mo'unga & Ofa Tu'ungafasi,*
    Samoans: Ardie Savea, Anton Leinert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Richie Mo'unga,*Patrick Tuipulotu, Nepo Laulala & Angus Ta'avao

9 in the starting lineup for that semifinal. + 1 off the bench.
    These players should respect maori traditions and not participate in a haka which is not their own.

No doubt that opinion will displease some, but I am entitled to my opinion. Out of a population of around 4.8 million, there are some 600,000 ethnic Maori. That make them a minority in New Zealand.
    Respondents felt overall that there was an opportunity to elevate Sport NZ’s current approach to Māori that could provide benefits not only to Māori but to the entire sport and recreation sector. Māori cultural elements such as the “haka” and the inclusion of the Māori version of the national anthem “E Ihowā Atua” were cited as increasing awareness of and adding value to sport and recreation in New Zealand. The growing number of high-profile, high-performance Māori athletes who are proudly Māori and fluent in te reo was also noted.
    I get it that the haka is inclusive. Source: Māori participation
    The IRFU created Ireland’s Call (an inclusive anthem) along similar lines. The National anthem in Irish is sung only at home matches. Perhaps the Alll Blacks should do likewise, keep this cultural aspect to welcome visitors to their island.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 27-10-19 at 19:10.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    No Idea Don't watch international is full just go through to lokk at the "talking points" in general. Just a feeling that most of this is just warped jealousy.

As I posted earlier there chould be a WR protocol and that should be the end of it.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    The New Zealand position that it’s their culture, has always made me smile. In the last century seeing 15 privileged white men doing something akin to morris dancing, while insisting they all have Maori blood. Fair enough.
    However nowadays over half the starting lineup are not New Zealanders, maori or otherwise.

Fijian Sevu Reece*
    Tongans Richie Mo'unga & Ofa Tu'ungafasi,*
    Samoans: Ardie Savea, Anton Leinert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Richie Mo'unga,*Patrick Tuipulotu, Nepo Laulala & Angus Ta'avao

9 in the starting lineup for that semifinal. + 1 off the bench.
    These players should respect maori traditions and not participate in a haka which is not their own.

No doubt that opinion will displease some, but I am entitled to my opinion. Out of a population of around 4.8 million, there are some 600,000 ethnic Maori. That make them a minority in New Zealand.
    I get it that the haka is inclusive. Source: Māori participation
    That bold bit is bull sorry.

The two underlined bits contradict.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As I posted earlier there chould be a WR protocol and that should be the end of it.
    Please no one else tell him, let's see how many times he says it

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The inclusivity is an effort to include the Māori minority in the mainstream of NZ sport. Pacific Islanders have their own Hakas. It is like CJ Stander “singing” the National anthem in Gaelic, he has learnt the phonetics, but doesn’t understand the words, since he doesn’t claim to speak Irish.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really mind the haka, it's pretty meh.

It's all the respect that everyone is supposed to give it that gets me.

That's the unfair advantage that the All Black have secured : not the right to dance, who cares about that , it's the compulsory pre game respect that everyone has to pay them.

Thread Information