N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Conflicts of interest

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    , or the team is adult and the referee is 17
    17 year old players are (for whatever reason) deemed "adult" wrt everything when in a seniort team except front row play (some extreme elite level caveats) and the bar. I doubt this would be any different for a 17 year old referee.

Or put another way Im unaware of anything that prevents th 17 year old centre from showing communanally with the 40 year old prop and 50 year old ref

??

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    17 year old players are (for whatever reason) deemed "adult" wrt everything when in a seniort team except front row play (some extreme elite level caveats) and the bar. I doubt this would be any different for a 17 year old referee.

Or put another way Im unaware of anything that prevents th 17 year old centre from showing communanally with the 40 year old prop and 50 year old ref

??

didds
    Check with your safeguarding officer, but none of the 17 year olds should be showering with the adults..

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Check with your safeguarding officer, but none of the 17 year olds should be showering with the adults..
    I dont have an issue with that TBH.

Should they be in the bar (drinking coke) surrounded by drunk adults using sexual swear words, singing songs with sexual swear words and actions in them, and witnessing "alternative" games? Or indeed outside on the pitch or wherever?

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

??

didds
    In Wales a referee must not shower / use a changing room where an U18 / opposite gender player is present. If you allow it I'd expect some CRB (Current equvilant) issues.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I dont have an issue with that TBH.

Should they be in the bar (drinking coke) surrounded by drunk adults using sexual swear words, singing songs with sexual swear words and actions in them, and witnessing "alternative" games? Or indeed outside on the pitch or wherever?

didds
    "alternative" games rings quite an alarm bell !

But I don't think you will get into trouble for the rest of it.

But if you take a shower with a 17 year old .... Well just don't do it...

Joking aside .. if adults and 17 yr olds in your club are regularly showering together , talk to your safeguarding officer quicky to get to processes to stop that happening (seriously)
    Last edited by crossref; 31-10-19 at 09:10.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A few weeks ago I was at a club with a shared shower, and had just reffed an U16 boys team. The response was "we checked with the coach, he's fine for you to use the shower with the lads"(!)

I just waited by the bar and chatted with the coaches until everyone was changed and out. Holland is a lot less uptight about these matters than the UK/US, but if anything out of the ordinary does happen it's the solitary adult who's at risk.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If there is merely an allegation of something , the solitary adult is at risk.

And from the other perspective .. if your kids are showering with solitary adults , then they are at risk

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"alternative" games rings quite an alarm bell !

But I don't think you will get into trouble for the rest of it.

But if you take a shower with a 17 year old .... Well just don't do it...

Joking aside .. if adults and 17 yr olds in your club are regularly showering together , talk to your safeguarding officer quicky to get to processes to stop that happening (seriously)
    TBH I don't know CR - its been a long time since I was actively involved in senior rugby and we didnt have any 17 year olds playing for the senior sides then that i was aware of (given I was CCC I should have been in the loop to do so etc), however I will have a quiet word in some ears just to make sure everything is in place (I would imagine so TBH)

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A U17/U18 player should not be changing with Adult players (even if playing up) in RFU land, they should have separate changing facilities (note the use of the word 'should'), there have been lots of very specific changes in terms of safeguarding, DBS checks etc with Colts and Adult players, parental consent etc, etc this season which has caught a lot of clubs off guard - I can't see any reason why a 17 yr old ref would be treat differently.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Also note that 17 year old refs should not be changing or showering with adult refs (earlier this season we refs had to use the officials changing room in shifts as two of the refs were 17)

Thread Information