Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: Conflicts of interest

      
  1. #21

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,955
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    999

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    , or the team is adult and the referee is 17
    17 year old players are (for whatever reason) deemed "adult" wrt everything when in a seniort team except front row play (some extreme elite level caveats) and the bar. I doubt this would be any different for a 17 year old referee.

    Or put another way Im unaware of anything that prevents th 17 year old centre from showing communanally with the 40 year old prop and 50 year old ref

    ??

    didds

  2. #22

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1911

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    17 year old players are (for whatever reason) deemed "adult" wrt everything when in a seniort team except front row play (some extreme elite level caveats) and the bar. I doubt this would be any different for a 17 year old referee.

    Or put another way Im unaware of anything that prevents th 17 year old centre from showing communanally with the 40 year old prop and 50 year old ref

    ??

    didds
    Check with your safeguarding officer, but none of the 17 year olds should be showering with the adults..

  3. #23

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,955
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    999

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Check with your safeguarding officer, but none of the 17 year olds should be showering with the adults..
    I dont have an issue with that TBH.

    Should they be in the bar (drinking coke) surrounded by drunk adults using sexual swear words, singing songs with sexual swear words and actions in them, and witnessing "alternative" games? Or indeed outside on the pitch or wherever?

    didds

  4. #24
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,807
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    17 year old players are (for whatever reason) deemed "adult" wrt everything when in a seniort team except front row play (some extreme elite level caveats) and the bar. I doubt this would be any different for a 17 year old referee.

    Or put another way Im unaware of anything that prevents th 17 year old centre from showing communanally with the 40 year old prop and 50 year old ref

    ??

    didds
    In Wales a referee must not shower / use a changing room where an U18 / opposite gender player is present. If you allow it I'd expect some CRB (Current equvilant) issues.

  5. #25

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1911

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I dont have an issue with that TBH.

    Should they be in the bar (drinking coke) surrounded by drunk adults using sexual swear words, singing songs with sexual swear words and actions in them, and witnessing "alternative" games? Or indeed outside on the pitch or wherever?

    didds
    "alternative" games rings quite an alarm bell !

    But I don't think you will get into trouble for the rest of it.

    But if you take a shower with a 17 year old .... Well just don't do it...

    Joking aside .. if adults and 17 yr olds in your club are regularly showering together , talk to your safeguarding officer quicky to get to processes to stop that happening (seriously)
    Last edited by crossref; 31-10-19 at 09:10.

  6. #26
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    376

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    A few weeks ago I was at a club with a shared shower, and had just reffed an U16 boys team. The response was "we checked with the coach, he's fine for you to use the shower with the lads"(!)

    I just waited by the bar and chatted with the coaches until everyone was changed and out. Holland is a lot less uptight about these matters than the UK/US, but if anything out of the ordinary does happen it's the solitary adult who's at risk.

  7. #27

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1911

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    If there is merely an allegation of something , the solitary adult is at risk.

    And from the other perspective .. if your kids are showering with solitary adults , then they are at risk

  8. #28

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,955
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    999

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    "alternative" games rings quite an alarm bell !

    But I don't think you will get into trouble for the rest of it.

    But if you take a shower with a 17 year old .... Well just don't do it...

    Joking aside .. if adults and 17 yr olds in your club are regularly showering together , talk to your safeguarding officer quicky to get to processes to stop that happening (seriously)
    TBH I don't know CR - its been a long time since I was actively involved in senior rugby and we didnt have any 17 year olds playing for the senior sides then that i was aware of (given I was CCC I should have been in the loop to do so etc), however I will have a quiet word in some ears just to make sure everything is in place (I would imagine so TBH)

    didds

  9. #29
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    981
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    A U17/U18 player should not be changing with Adult players (even if playing up) in RFU land, they should have separate changing facilities (note the use of the word 'should'), there have been lots of very specific changes in terms of safeguarding, DBS checks etc with Colts and Adult players, parental consent etc, etc this season which has caught a lot of clubs off guard - I can't see any reason why a 17 yr old ref would be treat differently.

  10. #30

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1911

    Default Re: Conflicts of interest

    Also note that 17 year old refs should not be changing or showering with adult refs (earlier this season we refs had to use the officials changing room in shifts as two of the refs were 17)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •