Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: [RWC] Eng v SA

Garces went into that RWC as joint favourite to do the RWC but in my mind didn't quite live up to the billing

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    What a turgid game. Mapimpi and Kolbe’s moments of individual brilliance aside, the match never came alight... and I think JG has a big role to play in that. I can’t quite put my finger on the specifics of how and why, but he sucked the life out of this match, just as he did with last week’s semi. Credit to South Africa for matching their strengths to the referee’s style, but if these hadn’t been RWC knock out games, I would have turned both of them off. An appalling advert for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    The better team won on the day. No complaints. Now, I need to try to learn something from Mr Garces. I was being asked by people watching with me "What was that penalty for?" - For some of the scrum PKs, I was struggling to find an answer. OK game overall though by Garces.
    England made far too many stupid errors.
    I might referee in England, but I’m Welsh, so this result is no skin off my nose.

FWIW, I thought he had an awful game in the semi as well, though the end result owed more to Wales’ baffling tactical choice of kicking away all their possession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    There seemed to be a good few penalties for the sake of it at the scrum, especially FR popping up with no obvious (or at least multiple equal) offence to me, felt a bit like England offended in the first two and were on the naughty step after that. I thought the comment about only one penalty (am sure he called 3!) when England had 20 plus phases in the 22 odd to understand too.

However, England lost regardless, above is all part of the game and adjusting to suit, SA did that better today.
    While I sympathise and feel your pain, I am at the same time glad some of you are now feeling the frustration a fair few of us kiwi fans felt with the awful displays by the French referees in 2017 - and I'm not talking about the SBW RC here, that was totally deserved. I'm talking about the strange decisions plucked out of left field such as the PK for the alleged tackle in the air on Kyle Sinkler, and the inexplicable decision in the last minutes of the third test to review a PK for a clear offside, and re-manufacture it into accidental offside, when the law book says no such thing. (I note that last night, ruling on a very similar incident, Garces made a very quick decision to rule SA offside and did not go to the TMO).

I really don't understand what Angus Gardner has done to deserve being left out. Maybe his face doesn't fit - he is clearly a better and more competent referee than any of the four Frenchman there.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whether JG had a good game or not I leave to others but there were 3 "incidents" which caught my attention

a) English scrum demolishes the SA scrum, ball still under control of English scrum, SA forwards now out of play behind the English scrum - why would a ref not play advantage in this scenario rather than blow the penalty immediately

b) 1st SA try which went to the TMO for clearing of the final pass which was deemed not to be C&O forward - the positioning of the winger was in front of the inside man and visually the pass was C&O forward to me

c) JG exuberant celebration when he and the team received their medals on stage - I have never seen a ref act in this way and it was as if he had won the cup rather than officiated in a final. A bit of a "look at me" attitude
    I tried to download the new Band-Aid song to support the fundraising to fight Ebola but my anti-virus program wouldn't let me

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    While I sympathise and feel your pain, I am at the same time glad some of you are now feeling the frustration a fair few of us kiwi fans felt with the awful displays by the French referees in 2017 - and I'm not talking about the SBW RC here, that was totally deserved. I'm talking about the strange decisions plucked out of left field such as the PK for the alleged tackle in the air on Kyle Sinkler, and the inexplicable decision in the last minutes of the third test to review a PK for a clear offside, and re-manufacture it into accidental offside, when the law book says no such thing. (I note that last night, ruling on a very similar incident, Garces made a very quick decision to rule SA offside and did not go to the TMO).

I really don't understand what Angus Gardner has done to deserve being left out. Maybe his face doesn't fit - he is clearly a better and more competent referee than any of the four Frenchman there.
    I hate say "I agree with Ian" but in this occasion I, er, actually agree with Ian

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    There seemed to be a good few penalties for the sake of it at the scrum, especially FR popping up with no obvious (or at least multiple equal) offence to me
    But what is the alternative? The continued resetting of scrums because a referee cannot decide who to penalise? I'd much rather a referee choose an offence and penalise it that the ever increasing resets we see at the top level. Down in the weeds very few scrums go down before the ball is in so a team is offending. Choose who and penalise and let's get on with the game.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixpat View Post

c) JG exuberant celebration when he and the team received their medals on stage - I have never seen a ref act in this way and it was as if he had won the cup rather than officiated in a final. A bit of a "look at me" attitude
    The proudest moment of his refereeing career. Think about that for a little while.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think JG has a big role to play in that.
    Everytime I see him referee he seems to let negative and slow play dominate rather than exciting quick ball. SA seemed to be allow to slow down the England ruck from the parts that I've seen, plus letting the SA 9 scrum feed be repeatedly delayed and clearly not straight makes me feel like JG was more interested in making sure he kept his refereeing as inoffensive as possible rather than keep the game flowing. The use of TMO for the knock on late in the match seemed like a gotcha moment and spoilt what was a great attacking run.

Why were there 7 officials? Every Child wins a prize? How would you feel as Angus Gardner - "mate, if the ref, both AR's, the 4, and the guy at 5 who is injured all go down, you'll get a run"

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    The proudest moment of his refereeing career. Think about that for a little while.
    I have and I still think he was OTT
    I tried to download the new Band-Aid song to support the fundraising to fight Ebola but my anti-virus program wouldn't let me

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Nice one Dickie; he certainly is a family man. I do not agree with the criticism here. At the end of 21 years of being a rugby referee, his last game is the Rugby World Cup Final. Well done, that man! I say.
    What a career, Jérôme Garcès (Scroll down for article). I for one will never reach such dizzy heights in the game.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 03-11-19 at 10:11.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information