Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Foot on the Line

(posted on wrong thread)
    Last edited by crossref; 06-11-19 at 11:11.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    What Phil missed out is the recent change in the Law

Until very recently when the catcher of the ball has a foot in touch , the kicker would be judged to have put the ball in touch, and the catcher would get the throw

They changed the Law a year or so ago , so that it now depends on whether the ball had crossed the plane of the touchline or not . In this case it hadn't, so the catcher was judged to have put the ball in touch. Lineout to the kicker

If Barrett was expecting the throw, that was a bad mistake

On the other hand he might have simply stepped on the line accidentally !

And that is most likely what the AR meant when he said "in play"

ETA: Ninja'd by Rich_NL
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:11.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

(posted on wrong thread)

Yeah... there's a bit of that happening lately!
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    None
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to all for replies. Yes, Barrett's demeanour clearly indicated he thought he was going to get a scrum back, so it seems that (like me) he didn't know the new law. A poorer reflection on him as a pro rugby player than on me, to be fair. Just to be clear, even if his foot has been in touch rather than on the line, it would not have been scrum back unless the ball had gone over the touchline, correct? Barnes' "in play" comment was certainly confusing (though he may have said "ball still in play", to be fair - it was a bit muffled) ... though I doubt I'd have got that implication then either.

I disagree on the exemption for drop-goal attempts going out of play. I'm fine with the exemption for penalties - the offending side should not get the ball back upfield just because the kicker missed with his kick after their transgression. But trying a drop-goal is a decision by the attacking side, and a poor execution shouldn't be rewarded, in my view. But the poster who commented that it is not much used as a tactic to run down the clock is probably correct. Why would you risk it when nowadays you have the much safer option of sticking the ball up your jumper and going to ground illegally to protect it . But I do recall a phase in South Africa where teams on the high veldt took potshots from all over the place when leading safe in the knowledge they'd get the ball back.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Why do you say scrum back and not a line-out?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    Thanks to all for replies. Yes, Barrett's demeanour clearly indicated he thought he was going to get a scrum back, so it seems that (like me) he didn't know the new law. A poorer reflection on him as a pro rugby player than on me, to be fair. Just to be clear, even if his foot has been in touch rather than on the line, it would not have been scrum back unless the ball had gone over the touchline, correct? Barnes' "in play" comment was certainly confusing (though he may have said "ball still in play", to be fair - it was a bit muffled) ... though I doubt I'd have got that implication then either.

I disagree on the exemption for drop-goal attempts going out of play. I'm fine with the exemption for penalties - the offending side should not get the ball back upfield just because the kicker missed with his kick after their transgression. But trying a drop-goal is a decision by the attacking side, and a poor execution shouldn't be rewarded, in my view. But the poster who commented that it is not much used as a tactic to run down the clock is probably correct. Why would you risk it when nowadays you have the much safer option of sticking the ball up your jumper and going to ground illegally to protect it . But I do recall a phase in South Africa where teams on the high veldt took potshots from all over the place when leading safe in the knowledge they'd get the ball back.
    The result is never going to be a scrum back.
    The only decision is did the ball go straight out (line out in line with kick), or taken out (line out where it was taken out).

You only get a scrum back from a kick if the ball is kicked dead, over the dead ball line or touch in goal.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    Just to be clear, even if his foot has been in touch rather than on the line, it would not have been scrum back unless the ball had gone over the touchline, correct? Barnes' "in play" comment was certainly confusing (though he may have said "ball still in play", to be fair - it was a bit muffled) ... though I doubt I'd have got that implication then either.
    In this case, the ball was put in touch once Barrett caught it with a foot on the line. It's the same as if Barrett caught it with both feet in, then stepped on the line.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    In this case, the ball was put in touch once Barrett caught it with a foot on the line. It's the same as if Barrett caught it with both feet in, then stepped on the line.
    Not necessarily, it depended on whether the ball had passed the plane

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not necessarily, it depended on whether the ball had passed the plane
    so... for my ediucation...

red kick ball and it will land out on the full.

blue player both feet in play catches the ball after it has croissed the plane (he has long arms ;-). Then blue player steps into touch.

Surely that is blue taken into touch, red lineout at that point on the touchline? (unless < 5m from goal line etc etc etc)

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    so... for my ediucation...

red kick ball and it will land out on the full.

blue player both feet in play catches the ball after it has croissed the plane (he has long arms ;-). Then blue player steps into touch.

Surely that is blue taken into touch, red lineout at that point on the touchline? (unless < 5m from goal line etc etc etc)

didds
    Yes
    But with one foot on touchline , and catches it beyond the plane then red kicked it into touch , straight out, line out to blue back there

Thread Information