Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mark from a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    You dont have to kick PKs etc you can tap and and pass etc. You have to kick the others at least 10 metres. Sorry I thought the inference was there. It made it clear to me when I was told it.
    a bit like the mnemonic I before E...
    ...except in a zeitgeist of feisty counterfeit heifer protein freight heists reining in weird deified beige beings and their veiny and eidetic atheist foreign schlockmeister neighbors, either aweigh with feigned absenteeism, seized by heightened heirloom forfeitures (albeit deigned under a kaleidoscope ceiling weighted by seismic geisha keister sleighs) or leisurely reimbursing sovereign receipt or surveillance of eight veiled and neighing Rottweilers, herein referred to as their caffeinated sheik's Weimaraner poltergeist wieners from the Pleiades.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    You'd be surprised how many coaches, players etc don't know this.
    And the odd referee...
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    ...except in a zeitgeist of feisty counterfeit heifer protein freight heists reining in weird deified beige beings and their veiny and eidetic atheist foreign schlockmeister neighbors, either aweigh with feigned absenteeism, seized by heightened heirloom forfeitures (albeit deigned under a kaleidoscope ceiling weighted by seismic geisha keister sleighs) or leisurely reimbursing sovereign receipt or surveillance of eight veiled and neighing Rottweilers, herein referred to as their caffeinated sheik's Weimaraner poltergeist wieners from the Pleiades.
    Nothing like it really.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing like it really.
    yes it is. You're using a mnemonic that has exceptions. All well & good if it helps you, but I wouldn't be selling it as a panacea.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The full mnemonic I learned was "When the sound is 'ee', I before E except after C."

That knocks out most (but not all) of your counter-examples.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A little unhelpful to draw parallels between the LoTG and language learning mnemonics.

There are no hard and fast rules to English grammar, but rather useful guidelines we traditionally teach students to help them decide for themselves what they’d like to say and how they’d like to say it. The Laws of Rugby Union are not entirely like that. By which, I mean if we left it up to the players which Laws they would like to apply to the game it’d be absolute anarchy.

Grammar police, MUST read this article before replying.
    When I tried to suggest that her students could be just as polite saying, ‘Can you help me? I want to …,’ she looked at me incredulously, finding it hard to believe that a ‘Can you …’ phrase would be as polite as a ‘I was wondering if you could …’ phrase …

After all, that’s not what the coursebooks say!

I find myself being reminded of the story of Pygmalion, the sculptor who carved a woman out of ivory, and then fell in love with it.

Like Pygmalion, we created something that worked for us … and we’ve fallen in love with it. We made the description of language simple so that more of us could understand it. But now, that description has now become the rule and we find ourselves fervently correcting others’ ‘mistakes’ and applying the rules as if they were there from the beginning.

Are we inherently perpetuating our own myths about language?
    Extract for those who won’t.

We all have stuff that works for us, but the Law book is still the primary source for learners.
    We all make mistakes, both on the field of play and off (at the bar afterwards.)
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 3 Days Ago at 15:11.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

yes it is. You're using a mnemonic that has exceptions. All well & good if it helps you, but I wouldn't be selling it as a panacea.
    Where are the exceptions. A Kick off or a restart must be kicked in the direction of the other side over a distance of at least 10 metres. The others can be "tapped". Very different animals. I'm sure you can see the difference.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Where are the exceptions. A Kick off or a restart must be kicked in the direction of the other side over a distance of at least 10 metres. The others can be "tapped". Very different animals. I'm sure you can see the difference.
    You would accept a 'tap' for a 22 Drop Out?

Not under my definition.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

here's a new improved version for you:

"If it must go 10, either drop kick or punt,
    If you award a mark, then you are a ... poor referee."

Of course, you're forgetting that a 22 drop out must go at least 10 metres before it can and may be successfully marked.

Thread Information